dj quik or westcoast drums(pitch changing)

kodra42

listen to a song like say skandalouz by 2pac or many westcoast songs and a lot you'll hear stuff that sounds like triangles or something and a little pitch change thing will happen with it like it'll go up, or a lot of these in a row and will progressively change pitch. another example is in gta san diego the theme song on the opening screen, it has this that im talking about
it seems like it would be easy to make just automate pitch on a sample up or down but it doesnt work right.... does anyone know how to go about doing this (or even what im talkin about?) dj quik uses it a whole lot tho i cant think of a particular song by him at the moment

I am not exactly sure if this is the information on what you are need but many in WestCoast/'Gangsta rap' simply use hard synths (due to many people who cannot afford to get complex expensive set ups; workstations can be an all in one for the bedroom songwriter/producer). You can grab percussion or drum sounds and pitch them across the keys. This is quite common in this genre of music.

What are you using to produce? If you are using Reason 2.5, load the drum sample into the NNXT sampler and you can use the sample across the key range, giving you the different pitches.

If not then sorry!

I know exactly what he's talking about. It's the sound of a triangle or a ride cymbal ring where the tail end of the sound pitches up, kind of like a when you tap a wine glass, you can find it on alot of "funk" kits, check some sample cd's..

I cam across this topic on google, I think what your talking about is a flex-a-tone. Theres one on skandalouz, one on dj quiks we still party. Daz Dillinger used to use it alot too. I own a flex a tone myself but can't record it at the moment, I know there are some sample cd's with about 10 different sounds of it.

Last edited:
I got a question on voice pitch from a sample. How do you tweek the pitch to where it sounds like the voice from Oh Boy (Camrons Song), Ive tried pitch and time stretch but it doesn't give it the same effect like the ones used now days.

Back