Disturbing music industry trend.

Craiz

Hey I have been noticing ALOT of this latley. This being recycling songs for radio hits. I will name a few I have noticed.

Alice in Chains-Grind > Audioslave-Show me how to live
Soundgarden-Black Hole Sun > Lynyrd Skynyrd-Free Bird
Daughtry-It's not over >Fuel Hemorrhage
Daughtry-Home > Bryan Adams-Have you really ever loved a woman
Plain White T's-Deleliah > Simon & Garfunkel-Mrs. Robinson
Modest Mouse- Float on & Franz Ferdinand-Take Me out (basically same song)
Finger Eleven-Paralyzer & Fiction Plane-Two Sisters
Atreyu-The bull & Avenged Sevenfold-Almost Easy

All these songs could interchange instruments or melodies .There is more but I am kinda drunk at the moment. BTW use youtube to compare the songs. I think I have something here.

Have any of yall noticed any similar things going on?

I was a little worried too when i first read it... then I started to sing plain white T' and Miss Robenson... Damn if he wasn't right...

listen to the tones and vocal melodies I'm thinking...

I didn't check the rest of them, they could be wrong but that one is dead on...

these songs are all very different, but I can MAYBE see your point, though all you're really saying is that these songs have similar chord progressions. And, a lot of pop music DOES have similar chord progressions. You can't copyright chords but you can melodies, and they all have different melodies and sound like completely different songs, even if, harmonically, the melodies would work overlayed over each other.

I see it mostly in commercialized hip-hop, where production is so lazy that cats just take another song's beat and put a generic "rapper" on the top of it. But in rock it's no new thing for a band to change one chord voicing and jack another band's song progression.

I don't think it's a "trend" or even as disturbing as it might first seem. After all, there are a limited number of note passages when dealing with the normal western scales - and if you take the chord progressions & passages which've been proven to be "catchy" or simply sound good, you've only got so many melodies; obviously with the amount of music being made, at some point you're gonna have very similar ones. The context, tempo and style dictates how alike they actually sound.

Generation E said:
yeah dude...black hole sun and free bird? c'mon bro......
I was thinking the same thing.How much did this boy drink.............

Last edited by a moderator:
eh... I am going to give in half a loaf on this one, you CAN sometimes "link up" songs in your head like he's doing. Sometimes, others hear it when you say it, sometimes, only other musicians pick it up from you, other times, its just you, LMAO

odds and ends that creep in to my head...

if you go (I IV...V) you only have 12 places to start from (someone mentioned this...)

you cant copyright chord progressions... in fact, to get started composing adn songwriting, many will tell you to rip a famous chord progression off, so you can concentrate on learning to make simple melodies.

I think a lot of pop singers voices are "eh... average..." (or less...) and the song is often boiled down for them to auto tune thru it, lol. this probably doesnt help the "sound different" thing either...

I noticed that a couple, or almost all, early nickleback hits had this same thing in the melody... "bum-BAH-bum-BAH...... BAH-bum-BAH-bum..." and I get that sound when I "twaddle" between the minor 3rd/major 3rd quickly... (as counted up from root...) I now notice it quite a bit inothers too.

theres also rules of thumb on melody end-notes... you know, end on root for "closure", end on higher note then begin on it and end on root... quick small tension and resolvement... etc etc

how many awards had John Lennon gotten, and everyone knows he had a penchant when stuck to "crib" a chord prog from classical music, just reversing it?

we are all using sets of "rules" and "rules of thumb" that were developed and mastered hundreds of years ago by the master composers (we are just standing on teh soulders of dead giants...)

also, if you do not yet know what a "ghost song" is, I suggest you google the result (hint: robin fredricks site...lol)

hey, out intrepid friend might have just busted a famous composer for ghost songing it, LMAO, pretty cool, heh heh

PS - don't ANY-body ever leak and tell this guy that "Phantom of the Opera" stole its biggest main melody line from...

Phantom: "Dah dum... dah dum... da da da da dah dummmm"

but every little kid knows to sing...

"school days, school days, dear old golden rule days...."

LMAO... no copyright still in effect for the famous easily remembered melody... slick, eh?

PPS ---- OKAY, here's MY famous one people all make fun of me for...

Ozzy: "I... am... Ir-on ma-aaannnnn..... kill the people he once saved..."

Little kids:" Run... run... fast-as you ca-annn... cant catch me I'm the gingerbread man....."

HINT: sing Iron man imitating Ozzy slowly, while using the gingerbread man lyrics... they fit PERfectly.... LMAO

(I have pften wondered if I could "dress up" Itsy Bitsy spider into a really cool heavy metal tune for the ages? LMAO..... ozzy did it...)

krushing said:
I don't think it's a "trend" or even as disturbing as it might first seem. After all, there are a limited number of note passages when dealing with the normal western scales - and if you take the chord progressions & passages which've been proven to be "catchy" or simply sound good, you've only got so many melodies; obviously with the amount of music being made, at some point you're gonna have very similar ones. The context, tempo and style dictates how alike they actually sound.

i can cosign that

btw craiz..I think I know who you are lol but I'm not sure..226 right??

Back