Difficulty in making a melody/playing keys

C

cheddarboi

Hi guys am new to music making and i use fl studio.I am finding it difficult to create a melody even though i have it in my head.I find it difficult to draw the melody in the piano roll and i don't know how to play a midi keyboard.This is really frustrating,I can make full drum pattern but just cant add any melody to it.When i decide to draw them on the piano roll.I don't seem to know what key i should draw them on to get the exact sound in my head.I really need help on this or any advice.Thank You

As cliche as it is, it's just gonna take time and practice

What i would do is make your drum loop and then let that loop and just play melodies over the drums and keep doing that until you find the melody that is in your head. I would recommend if you have a midi keyboard to play with that instead of drawing notes. Just my 2 cents though

go to teoria.com and start practicing with their ear training tools and their theory tools - you will be able to put down anything you can hear after a bit of practice and application

memorize the notes of the C major scale (easy) and C minor scale and just practice on 1 scale and with time you will see it's not so hard.

Make flashcards if you have to. Try playing along with your favorite songs and find the key.

Remake beats. Find remakes online (FLPS) and study them. There is a ton of things
you can do.

Start of with mary had a little lamb. Invert it. Change the scale. Move a note here, take away a note there.

Those nursery rhymes had a reason ya know! Lol

Fl studio has cheats also where you can draw chords and scales on the piano chord with just one click!!!!! Lol also shadows the noted that are not in the scale...for you to start making some tunes while you learn music theory check it on youtube

Fl studio has cheats also where you can draw chords and scales on the piano chord with just one click!!!!! Lol also shadows the noted that are not in the scale...for you to start making some tunes while you learn music theory check it on youtube

Yeah, it has ghost notes and a chord helper and tells the scales also

buy keys :) learn music theory about scales and chords and intervals n other tingz ;) learn how to play :) ( i mean the basics not how to play a chopin but that woudl be also good:) )
your music advanture will begin when u will learn theory :) belive me

only way for you is the same way for everybody.. all you need is some free TIME.
you should set some time aside and go on youtube.. search keywords like learn piano, easy tips tricks, basic chords... etc.. and what you should try to learn, which is really easy by the way, is watch how they show you how to mess with the major and minor C SCALE.. memorize this for starters and you will be good to go.. your gonna need a few hours a day for like a week.. concentrait and it will become so easy, you will learn the c scale and take it from there.. it will all start making sense.. trust me man piano takes a lifetime but you can get the basics and start playing within a week to a few months, but you will always want to know more LOL ITS ADICTING.. but yeah thats my 2cent..
good luck with those melodys... and get on youtube man, the sooner the better!

YOU MUST PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. Sorry, but there is NO WAY AROUND IT. In my experience, people who produce LOTS of different things are less prone to perfectionism and frustration than people who only write a FEW things and then spend hours obsessing over how to make them more perfect.

Trust me, you will still have time to obsess over making things perfect (if you think that's what successful people do in order to produce masterpieces...hmmm) even when you are writing lots and lots of melodies. The rule here is that "You Get Good At What You Do and Not At What You Don't"

A midi keyboard with an usb connection would surely help. I'm not quite sure about the whole music theory thing. My humble advice to you: sing or hum a note and try to find it on your keyboard. If this starts to work out very well after some practice, sing or hum some short melodies and learn to play them with trial and error. The most important part for you now is to learn how to use your ears. Music theory may help, but is surely not necessary at this stage.
Have Fun,
Mike.

Firstly, learn piano theory/ synthesis theory blah blah what other people posted
In regards to your situation.. I read somewhere that a great to way create melodies in your head is to record yourself speaking or singing the melody. After this, re-listen to what you recorded and apply your music theory appropriately

For example! (Everyone loves examples)
Avicii - Levels
-do do do dodododo do do do do
Da da da do do do do do do dodododo
(Interpret how you would on your own.. thats the best way I could type it)

Next. Apply music theory
Avicii may have had the velocity modulating the output levels on the 'Da da da' portion (as these keys move up the scale/ sound more pronounced) or maybe he simply applied a level of around 65-85 on the KeyTrack (which influences the opening/closing of the cutoff filter as you move up/ down the scale)
OR maybe he did something completely different! This is my best guess tho

Practice, Practice, Practice!!!!!

I've played piano and know how to put the sound on some keys if I have one in my head. I mean I don't have to know the note scale do I? Seems kinda pointless and complicating if I understand the octaves and key placements

Back