Different volumes with Transient Master ?

BeatsByD

Hey FP

I just wonderen if anyone know how to fix the issue with Transient Master (Native Instruments).

When i play quick back to back samples (Kicks, HiHats), the volume changes of it, like if every note is not getting effected, anyone know how to fix this ?

So i noticed it doesnt even have to be quick back to back samples before it is acting weird.

Here is an audio example, listen to the 3rd kick in the short loop that repeat it self a couple times.

Zippyshare.com - untitled.mp3

It just makes this great tool kinda useless for me..

I don't have it but I think I can make a guess about what's going on

Essentially there's a couple of compressors somewhere buried underneath.
One has a slow attack that lets through the clicky transient before it has time to react then squashes the body of the sound down to nothing.
One has a really fast attack that squashes the whole sound together like a normal compressor, but obviously if the transient is louder it get squashed more so the body ends relatively up louder and the transient quieter

The 'attack' knob turns up the volume of the first compressor, and the 'sustain' knob turns up the volume of the second compressor.

Now, compressors also have a release, which is how long it takes for the compressor to stop squashing after the sound stops playing. Your issue is the release is too long and both compressors are still squashing a bit when the second sample hits. Unfortunately, cause it's a plug with simple macro controls, you can't change that.

This is the downside of simple plugins with only macro parameters- they're really nice and easy to use 90% of the time but every so often you'll come across something they don't work very well on and it screws it over.

One thing to do would be to make your own version of transient master with a couple of transparent stock compressors and some routing (it's called parallel compression)- then you can fiddle with the release until it sounds right. But it'd take a lot longer than just dialing up one transient master.

Or you could duplicate the kick track with TM and move all the kicks that sound weird to the extra track, but again it's a lot of effort when you just want to slap an effect on and get some more/less attack

Last edited:
Really good answer. I watched some Illmind beat making videos where he uses it too and if he had the same problem as me i bet he wouldnt use it. But I dont know.

Best thing for me would be to save the kick as a wav file with the effect on and use the kick or whatever sample. The downside of this is you cant make tweaks to the samples again without having to save again.

Last edited:
Best thing for me would be to save the kick as a wav file with the effect on and use the kick or whatever sample. The downside of this is you cant make tweaks to the samples again without having to save again.

I didn't think of that... kinda obvious as well. Probably the best option.

Last edited:
Back