Difference between a R&B beat and hip hop beat

digidoc

When I listen to artists like August Alsina and songs like "About The Money" by TI and 'Somewhere in america' by Jay-Z, I have a hard time telling the difference btw a R&B beat and hip hop beat. Also with lot of dj mustard stuffs that are more melody-centric than a typical hip hop beat, I see a lot of songs out there now that can for both a singer or a rapper. 'Drunk in Love' is another one I can think of.. Am I right in saying that these types of tracks work for both rappers and singers or is there a key difference btw in writing a R&B beat vs. a hip hop track? I guess they can overlap but I'm wondering is there a type of beat that'd be easier for a singer rather than a rapper to work on, vice versa?

Last edited:
The difference is the artist! You kinda answered your own question..we have rappers on r&b beats and singers on rap beats...Personally some of the beats you would TYPICALLY have hip-hop artists like j.cole and schoolboy q generally wouldn't be ideal for singers and in contrast the beyonce, mary j, mariah, whitney type stuff isn't ideal for rap then again anything could work depending on your creativity. :rolleyes:

Back