Desperately looking for an explanation of the ever elusive Rustie sound

eclectizm

Hi all !

First off, you have to know I've been trying for quite some time to achieve this particular sound and I've come here as a last resort. I really, really hope someone can finally help me.

Here is an example of the sound I'm after (I cannot yet post links) :

- soundcloud . com / rustie/rustie-big-catzz at 00:25

What I have already tried :

1. Non-chordal melody (A# D# C# A# C# D#)
2. A simple saw wave for the bass (Minimoog)
3. Detuned saw waves layered on three octaves (Sylenth1)
4. A bit of white noise and triangle waves (Sylenth1)
5. Soft clipping, saturation, chorus, delay, reverb on a summing bus

I would post my result but it honestly sounds so poor and weak that it doesn't even seem like a good starting point anyway.

How would YOU do it? What is the magic trick to this seemingly straightforward sound?

Again, it seems simple but I have yet to obtain a satisfactory result. Sincerely hope someone can get me very close to it.

Thanks a ton in advance.

I just responded to two threads about Supersaws and Flume synths just below this, yesterday, about using Serum to make these sorts of sounds. The unison and stacking modes are truly magic and the ease of automation through very visual formats makes you able to just sculpt it. Read those and if you like, I can send you a serum patch or two that I've made

Hi,

Thanks for the reply!

I'm installing Serum Demo as we speak, I just checked some vids and it definitely seems powerful. Excited to see if it can achieve what I'm after.

Did you maybe get at chance to listen to the Rustie example track? Even if they might be the same, I feel like Flume-ish type sounds are more chord oriented - Flume uses much chords, and jazzy chords, whereas Rustie seems to use much simpler melodies. What do you think?

It's more like he uses simpler sounds. He's got that very 80s sine wave lead underneath the saturated saw chords - which use very basic saw waveforms. In this song in particular he does use a few simpler triads, but I've heard Rustie do more complex chords as well.

Back