Designing synths & leads

stankorenromp

Hi guys,

For more than 2 years I am producing with FL studio now. I've got the feeling that I'm making progress on almost all things except for sound design.
I've got some good idea's, but I always end up with a bad lead sounds, which sounds often too robotic, harsh or 8 bit style. I've got the same problem with synths.
Do you have any tips how to get better at this point? I also don't want to depend on those sylenth1 presets, but be able to design a good lead myself.

Thanks!

mess around with all the settings, knobs, etc until you figure out what controls what parameter, and how the sound will be affected if its changed. also watching tutorials on the specific vst you use can help you learn more about it and give you ideas

I know about...9 types of synthesis but just the general things and just experiment.
That's a matter of research and experimentation. (tbh I prefer to not not go about synthesis blindly unless I know what controls do what as I find that is simply not as effective as actually knowing what each knob does to a comfortable level.)

Most vsts in general, have the same controls in different areas.
adsr
lfo
filter
modmatrix

And also, most synths have some built in effects in them that are basically the same thing as external effects.

Some synths can do 1 type some can do multiple types etc but it's really a matter of taking the time to learn synthesis.
You can actually learn synthesis from looking at presets toobut only if you actually know what each knob does in the first place xD

A reason fella myself.

IME, the quickest way to learn is to get hands on with a hardware synth. If you are not able to do that, use a MIDI controller to get up close and personal with whichever your favorite VST is. Map the knobs to the synth and keep it consistent so that the process is quicker each time. If you have a question as to what controls you should map, I woudl refer you to basically what KonKossKang had stated (the filter, the lfo(s), the envelopes and the modulations)...his is some good advice.

From there, it's simply a matter of practice and getting to know synthesis. I'm sure there's some youtube videos to start you off in the right direction if you need it, but it's much more fun exploring yourself.

Alot of the software and hardware synths have varying displays/controls/interfaces If you break each synth down to it's basic elements, then it is much easier to approach any synth, no matter what synthesis type. Then, each synth will become familiar to you almost immediately after seeing it.

You want more movement in your sound to give it more "life". Modulate or automate different parameters so that subtle (or not so subtle) changes are happening. Try detuning one of the oscillators so there's some movement from phasing, modulate the filter a little bit, don't set your sustain Envelope to max so there's a little filter envelope decay to the sound.

theres a ton of things you can do. Maybe also do some stereo spread on it, if your mixdown has the room for it.

It's very hard to design a sound for a specific reason up front i.e. if you're in the middle of making a track and decide you need a thing then try to make it.

It's far easier to just try stuff and keep what you find, then use it at a later date.

It's also better to work like this because you don't break the flow of making music as much. And in sound design it's best not to have an idea of what success is because you'll miss things that are actually useful because they aren't what you want to end up with.

Last edited:
I think copying the leads from your favorite artists is the funnest way to learn sound design. You can then use them in your own songs as well which makes it vastly rewarding.

Experiment and practice. I say that a lot but experience that what matters.

[SUP]You can also watch tutorials and try to learn from copying other producers:rolleyes:[/SUP]

Back