Deconstructing fluke's "setback"

brianbotkiller

Hi guys,

I'm a producer of many years (over 15), I've been back and forth between hardware and software, I've settled into ableton in the past number of years, because it most nearly matches my old hardware itch.

So the reason I'm posting is that I am a huge Fluke fan - have been forever and ever. I have always been so interested in how they produce, but there are very little breakdowns of how they've done what they do, unlike stuff from the prodigy and etc.

What I want to get a better hang on is programming drums along the lines of their song, "Setback". Now, the sad thing here is that I'm a drummer - but I have just never liked programming drums. I have all the gear I need, and I have produced a lot of great music, but I just want to be able to get a better hang on what I guess would be big beat drum programming. I know - not very modern, but I don't really care ;)

I can produce minimal/house/etc. with ease, but what I'm wondering about is if anyone has thoughts on producing what would essentially the be the syncopated backbeats that usually exist in most drum and bass and big beat. It's hard to explain, but if you listen to the break from Setback, I think you'll know what I mean. You can listen to it at youtube, I can't post links, since I'm new here.

Basically, I can get down that the main beat is a regular - boom tap... boom/tap with some hats on the 2 and 4. But what gets me is the backing beats. I feel like I could program this kind of stuff better if I had a grip of cells in front of me that had differing drum samples with various velocities on each one, but I just can't get the fluidity that I want.

So, I guess I'm basically just wondering if anyone has thoughts on how to produce something like this. I love the kind of drums that Fluke, Chemical brothers, and Crystal Method produce. Basically, I love big beat and break beat, but I want a better handle on programming it, rather than just using loops.

Thanks for any thoughts you guys have.

Back