Critical Music Listening Skills...???

Chew_Bear

Seems like the more I learn the ins/outs of my DAW and the more tutorials/articles I watch about music production....The easier it is for me to 'guess' and decipher what the producer might actually be doing inside his DAW/studio.

My biggest tip for the newbies reading and I think has helped me a lot is...Try and isolate yourself from anything that is a distraction audio/hearing wise.

Also...try and isolate yourself 'emotionally' from the song. This is my ultimate advice because I am a very emotional kind of person and therefore a song's words and meanings are really strong for me. Therefore...I focus more on my emotional state than on actually trying to critically listen to the songs production structure/style.

When I first learned how to emotionally isolate myself from the words/meanings. It was like a huge "AHA" moment and the light bulb finally came on.

At the time...I was listening to an old song that I felt very attached to emotionally. And than all of a sudden...It hit me like a TON of BRICKS.

It was like I was finally hearing the song for the very first time. But this time...From a whole new perspective...And I could hear and visualize all the music production skills/techniques that every producer talks about.

Like...I literally had an epiphany...And an image of a monitor screen with a DAW popped inside my head with audio tracks and automation lanes....Playing along with the song, just as if I was the actual producer of the song itself, sitting in a studio, making the track than and there.

Anyone have any tips/suggestions on how to critically listen to music in order to reverse engineer a song in hopes of finding inspiration, style, ideas and creativity for your own productions...???

Apologies for the long winded thread. Hope this helps any newbies reading this.

Critical listening skills is just listening to a song and paying attention to what's going on in a song.
It's fairly easy to do that because back then when I was on fl8-9, I watched alotta youtube tuts and looked at the f1 button while experimenting 24/7.

I guess it's hard because if you are opening up your DAW for the first time, you don't know what controls have which effect on the sound.

Once you have a little experience you can say 'oh that sounds like a filter sweep' 'that's a synth based on sawtooth waves' 'that's a perfect cadence' etc

Back