Crisp Saw Sound?

RickChen

Can anyone give me some feedback on how to reproduce the saw/alarm during the first 5 seconds of this song?

youtube-> "2ne1 I am the best" (sorry can't post links yet)

I have spent many hours trying to figure this out. I tried using a simple saw with Nexus and pitch bending then adding overdrive, compression. Also a whole bunch of other things, but I just have no clue, how to make it sound that crisp, clean and good. Any help would be appreciated. I just started learning about music and production. I am using Ableton Live and I got Nexus only : (

Thanks troublemaker$

This is awesome. I looked into some tutorials and am working on this sound right now. Thanks so much for the help, very much. It means a lot to me for you to take time out your day and drop some knowledge on me.

This may be another dumb question... but could you name some other types of "basses" so that I can look up tuts and look up how to create these types of sounds....

Maybe like a short list for me to get started?

e.g.

1) Reese Bass
2) ....
3) ...

Thanks

Rick

Last edited:
Sure, you have Reese/Reece bass, you have Hoovers, you have Sub of course which is just sine wavs. Electro bass which is in it's own right a new type of bass sound, 303 bass and umm i can't think of anymore off the top of my head but those should keep ya busy.

Awesome! Thanks so much, working my way through these. More questions for you if you have the time.....

Whats a general rule of thumb for using sub bass? I like making/listening to edm and drum and bass tracks should I always be adding subbass?

Is there a big difference between using software synths and hardware synths while creating sounds? I've read that hardware "sounds" much better.... but my ears can't hear the diff and I def am not ready to jump into hardware yet....

Thanks Troublemaker you have been super helpful.

The hardware/software debate will never end. Try both. Sub or bass is 100% nesc in dnb. Try layering your bass, fatter and thicker sound. Sub/mid bass.

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

Also look into resampling and modulation for movement in ur bass.

Back