creating industrial sounds ( white noise )

codGmer

​Hello,​

I want to be able to understand white noise and how to make industrial sounds in ableton using the analog instrument.
Is it possible to make a good industrial kind of sound from machines in analog?

I'm into this kind of music and i want to make similar sounds like this track: YouTube sorry if it is a bit too extreme :).
The running gas trough a pipe sound (thats what i think it is) sound at the very beginning i want to recreate or at least make something similar.

Also this is cool: YouTube

but mostly the first link is what i mean.

Sure sample packs are an option but i want to make them myself using software because it is much more creative i think and i dont want to rip something off.

Thanks for helping me.

Last edited:
Analog is fine, to a point - but I doubt you'll be satisfied by its sound on its own. For example the "pipe" sound has some reverb in it, which basically transforms whatever the original sound sounded like to what it is – so in a way, in these sounds the fx are probably as important as the source sound. I'd also experiment with recording real-world sounds (you could even record just using your phone, as extreme fidelity isn't necessarily important when dealing with experimental sounds) and then processing them, as it's often easier to get interesting textures that way. You could also try downloading some sounds - not as in "get an industrial sample pack" but just, say, a bit of speech or a lion roaring or glass breaking or whatever, then use fx & sampler tools to transform that sounds into, for example, and industrial pad. Anything goes, and everything's useable. Also if you have the full Live Suite, the Tension and Collision instruments are great for atonal sounds like this.

Thank you for answering.

Cool that you bring that up with the real-world sounds I was thinking about that with a friend of mine.

But i don't get what you mean industrial pad, what can you do with a 'pad'? I am not english so thats why i ask.
I will definitely give this a try and try to make some cool sounds.

Strechting samples is giving some cool effects right.

"Synth pads" usually refer to background-ish sounds that fill out (or pad out, hence the name) otherwise empty-sounding arrangements. They can also be an important part of the general atmosphere of the track. I just used it as an example here as interesting pad sounds are - imo - possible to make from almost any kind of source material, be it samples or just a synth and thus is a good candidate for sonic experimentations. A good primer on pads here.

Key point: the sound you posted at the beginning isn't white noise, it has pitch.

Maybe it's two notes really close together to make it sound dissonant, but it's not pure white noise.

Key point: the sound you posted at the beginning isn't white noise, it has pitch.

Maybe it's two notes really close together to make it sound dissonant, but it's not pure white noise.

True - although the pitch seems to come from the resonant space (whether it's real or virtual) rather than the sound itself. Def not pure noise though.

Really fascinating this sound in my opinion, dont know all the more advanced stuff to understand that sound you guys are describing. I was thinking of recording any train sounds and just stretching it and putting reverb to it, I can imagine dark ambient and such is made by something like that.

Last edited:
Trains sound great :) But also consider just everyday stuff, banging on things in your house, record the water running, the washing machine, the hum of the air conditioning - even if you're trying to make "dark sounding" music, the sounds can be extremely ordinary to begin with.

Back