Creating Harmonic vs in-harmonic sounds

Popalock

Hi, I want to create 2 small tracks which demonstrate the impact harmonic sounds have on the overall sound image. Ie they are one and the same recording, but one will have a greater degree of harmonic sounds (tweaked in post).

is this possible? Anyone know how?

what I'm getting at is that if a single note of an instrument is played, the fundamental frequency is the one we hear most. But there are other frequencies present. Some are harmonic (eg integers of the fundamental, like if 440hz is played you might also hear 880hz etc..), and others are in-harmonic.

i want to remove the harmonic frequencies in a given track, or reduce them heavily so you can easily hear the difference

thanks!

difficult to do but not impossible

you would need to use church bell type sounds to do this as most other instruments are designed to be harmonic to begin with

a more interesting concept and more easily doable is to use in-harmonic choices for providing the harmonic context - i.e. deliberately choose to use notes that are not meant to go together if we were trying to create a harmonious version

Back