Creating a buildup/drop?

SpacedOutBeats

Hey guys! Im starting an edm track at 136 tempo, its a mixture of house, trap, and a bunch of other nonsense. I haven't really done any edm production before so I'm lost as to making the builds and drops. I have been watching videos and googling, and so far i found out a few tricks to make the drop bigger. Things like white noise, putting a riser in, snare rolls, etc. So for this track i want to make a regular snare build and I'm also going to pitch it up, i have that part. The question is, what bar is the beat supposed to drop? Do i make the buildup 3 bars and use the 4th as empty space to create tension? For this track i want the snares to build up and then i want a 2 second sample to come in, then i want the beat to smack you in the face. If i were going to do this would i build up to lets say 3 bars and a quarter, then throw the sample in? Or is there a trick in placing a clap right before the sample or at the end of the build to give the bass for emphasis? Sorry about the grammar i have been up for 22 hours -_-

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking...

Can you post a link to an example of something similar so we know what kind of effect you are aiming for?

I'm thinking that, in your sequencer, you could align the sample so that it ends exactly on the first beat of the drop.

As for the snare buildup... Keep that going for the entire 4 bars and then automate a filter to sweep out all of the lower frequencies gradually over the buildup until it fades out completely. The fade out point should be right at the beginning of the sample.

Then the drop... BOOM!

Do you get what I'm saying or did that not make any sense at all?!

Last edited:
Really you can make a drop however the hell you want there's no rules. Now's hears a tad of my advice. 136 bpms is kinda fast don't you think? Haha na jk that's typical for both house, electro, dubstep.

So anyways. The build up in my opinion is one of the funnest parts about making a song cause you're free to do anything wild you want to just get the listener super pumped. Like getting closer the climax during sex. Typically, High Pass & Low Pass filters are almost 90% time used in rise ups. Also modulating the cutoff frequency and having it go higher while increasing the volume of the filter itself is a great trick. Pitch bending and increasing the pitch of a sound is typical, & easy. The main thing that you want to get from rise ups is increasing parameters. Increasing the reverb of sound as it build up is also another great trick, & you could go as far as decreasing the low cutoff of the reverb to make your sound less muddy. Increasing the stereo width of a sound as it goes up is another thing. White noise white noise white noise. You can never really have to much white noise (well, maybe you could) BUT yes using low high filters on white noise while also modulating the cutoff of the high end. (AVACII does this shit all the time).

I totally agree about doing whatever you want and what not, i just really liked that last drop the way it hit in that song. I wanted to recreate that but with a different buildup, different effects, but i wasn't sure where exactly to put the notes at the end. If you listen the snares keep going up in pitch, then a sample saying "Round Two" comes in, then theres a snare and it drops hard as f*ck. I just wanna figure out where to end the snares, start the sample, then do another snare to make it all flow like magic.

Uhmm Im just a newbie and I can't see the link where I am now but if its what Im thinking let me try to give you an example: in a 8x8 drum pattern you have this
(lets say the reds are the kick)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

If its what Im thinking you can go with the snares(blue bars) creating the tension till the first red bar and than you hit in the first red bar with the voice (round two), and hit with the hard snare in the 3rd red bar.

I don't know if you got the idea or if its this what u're asking, anyway sorry for my bad english

Uhmm I think it was a bad example/idea right?

Spacedoutbeats, the red bars its an example if there was really a kick in that "four to the floor" beat... the blue bars are the spot where the snares goes to... sorry my bad english

Back