The Crap People Are Making

fux0r

I can't believe some of the garbage people are making these days. Ive been making beats since 1987 and we had a philosophy to be different and stand out. Be original.

Sh!t i hear now sounds like the next guys. Whether its someone elses beats sampled and looped with the nerve to call it your own, to the guy who wants to make beats that sound like Dre.

Get some ****!ing originality.

Murder-One

DJ High-Q

if your gonna run ya mouf like that at least post a hot 1 so we can see what "you " workin wit...

fux0r said:
People pay to hear me. Deal with it.

Yeah whatever but surely you can provide just a 30 second clip to show us that you're better or at least different. If not then it looks like you're all mouth... people pay to hear lots of artists but those artists still provide excerpts from their tracks on the net for free.

MM

fux0r said:
You have already heard some of my work. Plus I have nothing to prove to you.

Well, if i ever listened to you i've certainly forgotten the track. It's not a question of having something to prove - i just find it odd that you post such sweeping negative comments about everybody but nobody in particular without being able to show that you're any better.

MM

fux0r said:
I can't believe some of the garbage people are making these days. Ive been making beats since 1987 and we had a philosophy to be different and stand out. Be original.

Sh!t i hear now sounds like the next guys. Whether its someone elses beats sampled and looped with the nerve to call it your own, to the guy who wants to make beats that sound like Dre.

Murder-One

DJ High-Q

I can understand why people would like to hear your tracks.

It is not because you should have something to prove necessarily... and if you had simply posted in any average thread, I don't think anyone would have even asked to hear your stuff.

...but you started a thread talking about how you have been "making beats since 1987" and that your music "stands out" from the rest.

The whole purpose of your post was for you to say that you are an experienced artist and your music is unique and stands out above the rest of the music out there...

You opened the door to having people want to hear your stuff.

I am sure you are every bit as good as you say you are... it is not that you have to prove that to me... but I must admit, after reading your post, that I am really curious to hear your music.

Why don't you at least tell us what we would have heard from you?

I think this fulfills the classic symptoms of Internet Boasting Disease™

* Makes hateful post of about how everyone else sucks
* Makes pretentious claims
* "I don't have to prove anything"
* Disappears

:D

I sort of with you on this one , i've been scanning this forum for the first time 2day and i yet hear hear something that grabs me. I couldn't belive one of the tracks i heard with was some badly sampled hip hop over some 70s style vocals .
If you listen to my tracks i've tryed my best to sound as different as possible (maybe unsucessfully) and produce everything myself . I think its ok to steal the odd sample here and there as long as the end product is your own .
Check me out at
www.ilisty.tk

fux0r, Lord knows I agree with you %100, but emmmm, watch the hostility ;)

Lemme tell you something, I am a classical composer through and through. I believe in the classical methods and intellectual reasoning of composition. However, I also am a Dance Music Producer. The methods of classical composition don't apply so much to Dance music, but the goal is one of the same. They key thing here is being able to adapt.

I'm Scottish and my roots are in Classical, Jazz and Dance music. I'm not a Hip-Hop producer, not because I don't want to be, but because my passion lies else where.

Passion is a wonderful thing.....making love to ur beautiful hunnie, enjoying the taste of haggis on a Sunday afternoon (am Scottish - so shoot me), Enjoying the sounds of music..........but Passion is not all good, it makes us obsessive and protective and leaves us very naive and open to much debate andc controversy. Agreed?

While I admire you passion to defend what you believe in, it doesn't make it the only thing to believe in. Now believe me, I know where ur coming from, if we cud only get rid of the money-making crap in music that wud be great - but we can't (for now anyway) or ermmmm, in the nicest possible way let's all deal with it. :)

The most important thing in music of all, more important that being the best in the business and knowing ur not commerical, is to LOVE WHAT YOU DO.

This is it really, as long as you love what you do, knowone can touch you. And needless to say the 'artists' who are more commercial or whatever u want to call it love doing what they do. As musicians, we may not feel that using drum loops and sample loops from Ejay is very productive and it is sick if ppl r making money this way, but let them live in the fantasy of trying to produce music, there's a lot worse things they could be doing with their time, like beating up old folk or shoot ppl - now that's something to get in a tizz about.

Everyone with musical ambition must be encouraged, it is a form of expression and love and in no way can that ever be a bad thing. What makes it bad is human interaction. The language of music is far more beautiful than humans realise or even know of, we are closed ears to the true sound of music, we are desperetly trying to keep up with it all.

Away from the philosophical view and onto Professional Conduct.

BE PROFESSIONAL, MAN!!

Nothing is more unprofessional than slating every other musician and believeing u hold the key to the musical kingdom of creativity. The keys of the musical kingdom belong to the listeners, they hold every key - it is them we have to pull and grasp with our music. I don't care what other musicians think of my music as it's my music and it is my passion that's gone into it.

One more thing.....Originality - mmmmmm ur not Musically Educated r u? NOTHING IS TRUELY ORIGINAL. proper musical anaylsis will confirm this as well as a lot of time spent listeing to works from classical to modern.

Originality comes from within the soul and how you shape the music, no matter what genre you are writing in. Of course in my personal opinion, Classical music is a no-rules way to go about it, with modern styles, you've got to have the right beat, the right bassline, the right tone, in Classical Music there are no restrictions whatsoever, however that's not to think any less about modern sytles....it's just my personal opinion, but I don't go shouting about it or calling ppl who don't write classical music and bunch of talentless wa**ers, coz they most certainly ain't ;)

So, fux0r, while I agree in principle with what you say, it's best not to open urself (and ur music) to ridicule and debate and instead show an openess to the musical language and ppl's emotions.

And, besides I'm the first person to get ppl straight: re: Sexy Beats Natasha ;)

:cheers: to James McFadyen.

Thats what it's all about.

To hell with what everyone else is doing, concentrate on your music.

After reading the first few posts to this thread, I can't help but think down upon the hip-hop community. As stated before, being professional does not include megalomaniac tendancies.

Perhaps the stereotype of the genre has in some way angred you to the point in which you feel all producers that havn't been doing it as long as you, should be as good as you in 1/4 the time.

I'm not saying there is something wrong with hip-hop, there isn't. But every serious producer should be good at several genres. Try experimenting with other styles of music for a while.

Ya'll chill out on fux0r. Cause if you'll read his post....

fux0r said:

Murder-One

DJ High-Q

He never said he was BETTER than everybody, just to be more original, and I understand where he's coming from completely. Do watch the tone of your posts though man.

As far as what you are saying, the monotony in hip hop is not necessarily anyone's fault other than record labels, and even they can't really be blamed. Hip hop has become extremely marketable, and because of that only certain sounds are really being promoted. At the end of the day, they want to make money, and if consumers are buying the same thing over and over again, why would they change it? The unfortunate side effect, of course, is said lack of originality, but the same could be said for a lot of genres, not just rap.

Try not to worry about what you're referring to as "garbage" (not everyone agrees, of course). Going with what James was saying about love of music, if you truly believe in what you are doing, there will be an audience for it. Let others listen to whatever they like. It's not your job to change what people listen to, just be an alternative for people like you who do want something different. Surely if you've been making beats for 17+ years you can appreciate that.

Good point from you too Alanzo. I can't tell you how many times I got stuck before branching out into other types of music.

fux0r said:

You've got to bear in mind that in 1987, we didn't have access to either the quality and availability of home studio/recording equipment that we have had available to us in the last ten years. Nor did we have access to the internet on which we get to hear every single new producer's material via forums such as FP.

How would we have had access to such material back in '87? Other than on street corners and specific underground venues where battles were taking place, the music of new producers simply wasn't available for our aural pleasure in the same quantity as it is now.

You can bet your a$$ that there was still a load of substandard unoriginal material being churned out. However, it was very difficult to get such material heard by anybody but close friends/relatives. Now, you simply convert to MP3 and upload free of charge to a potential audience of millions.

...and fux0r, you might have been the author of your own misfortune with regards to being flamed bud. I agree that maybe some of us took your original post out of context but you did state that "we had a philosophy to be different and stand out. Be original.", and all the guys asked for was an example of the difference between what you do and what it is that more recent amateur producers do.

You are right, you don't necessarily have to prove yourself to us or anyone, but your reaction to being asked for an example of your work infers that you have no more to offer by way of originality than any of these crap producers whose unoriginal offerings sparked your initial post.

Try to be a little more subjective and respectful in your approach to such matters dude - you'll gain a lot more respect.
:cheers:

Back