CQ. community questions has started - do u know ur stuff?

L

LuKeY

hey guys...

now i know everyone is different and you need to create your own style but i like to see what everyone else is doin when it comes to different things coz there maybe things u hadnt thought or tryin or just straight up dont have a clue, so ur gonna see alot of these questions posted for myself and for people out there just startin out that rn't quite sure which way to flow on particular points.....so all you cats that now what ur doin, give a lil sumthin to the community. PEACE! ps: all these questions will start in the subject line as CQ (community question).

so this first questions to ya'll is when doing your chorus, do you do less with the music or more? eg: add an extra instrument or sound....or lose an instrument or sound....or change the pattern of one or more of ur intruments...

Last edited by a moderator:
LuKeY said:
so this first questions to ya'll is when doing your chorus, do you do less with the music or more? eg: add an extra instrument or sound....or lose an instrument or sound....or change the pattern of one or more of ur intruments...

that kind of thing will vary from song to song.

Song-making does not really have to be that formulaic. You can just do what feels right for that song.

sometimes i might strip out a lot of the music during the chorus... sometimes i may add more layers.

Sometimes the music will not change much at all and just the vocal melody changes.

sometimes the chord progression changes significantly during the chorus, sometimes it changes very subtly, sometimes not at all.

i know that may not give you the kind of info you were looking for, but the point is that you shouldn't think of it in such a rigid manner... just let the song write itself... the song will tell you what it wants.

if there were really "formulas" like that, then every sonf would sound exactly the same.

yeah it depends.
i make hip hop beats, and some times i'll strip some of the bas eout of the hook/chours if i want an RnB singer to do it, if not i sometimes leave it in for the MC.
it all depends on what type of sound ur going for. as most people will say if it sounds good it is, which is true.
but if u struggle wit it, try adding a layer then stripping a layer at 1st to decide what u like better. then devlop it from that.

hope it helps.

Lil Loco

I don't really make beats or songs with traditional structure, but on adding or removing instruments. For me, if I feel an instrument will enhance a piece of music, I'll add it in, but if something is clashing then its taken out. So I don't believe in there being a set number of instruments in a song, or part of a song.

Back