Couple questions...

TroyLoud

What is the purpose of a kick? is it to add strength and give an 808 or drum or snare a 'push'? Also, what type of elements are used in music to make them 'bigger' and have 'texture'? I know orchestra hits are used and brass (I think) for bigger effect and dramatism and choir for textures, but what else? And finally, what type of instruments besides brass are sounds with a 'hold'? As in, instruments that aren't short like a pluck sound, rather instruments that the note holds for a while, which can have portamento type of slides?

1) traditional jazz/rock/pop drum usage has the kick and bass reinforcing each other on key rhythmic points in each bar throughout the song (beats 1 and 3 are usual and then anticipations of an 8th note)

2) anything that supports the rhythmic emphasis

3) strings that are bowed, all woodwind ~ Flute, oboe, piccolo, cor anglais, clarinet, bass clarinet, contra bass clarinet, bassoon, contra bassoon, all of the saxes (Sopranino, soprano, alto, mezzo in C, mezzo in F, tenor, baritone, bass, contra bass, double contra bass)

Hey I work with a mixture of hold and pluck type sounds. I use sylnth one with a medium decay and a long release with mono legato and porta slide

Search Raij on soundcloud to find out what I'm up to!

kick bass, sub-bass, 808, kick drums?

Im trying to understand the differences between all of these type of bass and the effects they have. For example, whats the purpose of a kick drum compared with a kick drum? is sub-bass good to use with 808's or will they interfere with one another, making the sub bass inaudible?

kicks, kick bass and 808 kicks are all the same.

In addition some producers/composers/creators, have sampled the 808 kick and used them as a bass line as well as a kick

Sub-Bass means sub-octave bass, i.e. playing the bass an octave below the existing bass line - this is done to reinforce the notes of the bassline as well as to create a thicker texture for the bass. If coupled with a kick, the kick should be more drum like than bass like, especially if it is going to play the same note over and over and that is not compatible with the bass line

Back