Counting beats and bars in doubletime

Mac Loner

When I try to breakdown beats and bars for arrangement purposes it's sometimes hard for me to tell if a beat is in doubletime or not. Are there any tips to help me with this? Greatly appreciated

Yeah if you're at a fast bpm like 140-170 and your drum beat is slow like a dubstep or trap beat you're most likely working at a half time. Double time would be like a 128bpm house/tecno beat at 64 bpm. Arrangement wise you might want to double your bar size from 8 to16 bars or 16 to 32 at half. Or decrease 8 to 4 or 16 to 8 at double or just leave it how it is

Last edited:
It's just the timing grid you pick for yourself.

A 140 bpm track can be interpreted as a 70 bpm track or 280 bpm... whatever works best for what you're working with. If it's heavily syncopated or swung you can't so easily transpose the timing,
but those are not meant to be precise timings anyway.

In the most common time signature 4/4, each bar is divided into four sections, we call these beats. The first of these four beats is a strong beat, the second is a weak beat, the third is a medium beat and the fourth is a weak beat.

A strong beat is a beat which has a strong accent relative to the other beats. Some signs of a strong accented beat are loudness, longer length and higher pitch. Which are also the ways you put stress on a word when speaking.

So, to figure out the tempo of the beat you're working with just try to hear where the strong beats are and how often. If you can't distinguish where they are and you've listened very carefully I would just pick whatever tempo suits you and work from that.

Last edited:
Back