Counter melodies??????????

BigMitch05

most times when i make a track i come up with a main melody and the drums like its nothing...but when it comes time to add the countermelodies and all the extra stuff i have a hard time tryna come up with it....i can take hours and sometimes days just to come up with that sh!t...any suggestions on making this a easier process???......and also should i play the counter melodies in the same scale as the main melody and bass line?????? Plz ill apperciate this advice...

You should probably play in the same key, but you can go up and down octaves.

I think the reason you're having a harder time coming up with the rest, is because usually when you make something composed, you have an idea and this first idea that you make is usually the main melody, right? You haven't thought up the rest yet, what you need to do is just let that main melody spark ideas for what to fill in with. Just build off it.

Think of instruments that can complement it, and how you would incorporate those.

Listen to a lot of composed music all the time, listen to soundtracks, people like Zimmer, Kloser, listen to classical composers. For inspiration.

Last edited:
soulpurpose said:
You should probably play in the same key, but you can go up and down octaves.

I think the reason you're having a harder time coming up with the rest, is because usually when you make something composed, you have an idea and this first idea that you make is usually the main melody, right? You haven't thought up the rest yet, what you need to do is just let that main melody spark ideas for what to fill in with. Just build off it.

Think of instruments that can complement it, and how you would incorporate those.

Listen to a lot of composed music all the time, listen to soundtracks, people like Zimmer, Kloser, listen to classical composers. For inspiration.

On the money.

soulpurpose said:

really?i always have this problem thanks

If I hear something nice (doesnt matter what genre), I try to incorporate it in my producing.

I'll agree, counter melodies are probably one of the most tedious parts for producing because it seems like nothin ever works but my 2 basic rules for producing are:

1. Dont stop experimenting (even with things that might seem absurd)

2. Everything is trial and error. Everything.

if your having problems, make sure you know what key your in, when you write your original melody, as once you know what key your in, you can use that to help you realise what you can do ta add interest and flavours to your track...

make sure you know what chord progression you used, to also help with this..

example

if you write your melody in the scale of E flat major

Eb F G Ab Bb C D are the notes you should base your melody on.. although as with anything musical, its not a solid rule obviously, but helps speed up writing melodies, and working what goes with them.

i find with a counter melody, its nice to 'bounce' your sounds around the main melody, across multiple instruments, ill try think of an example, but try experimenting...

I always start with the main melody... after that, I go on to making the counter melody... they are both in the same key, but different octaves. Sometimes I use the same instrument, but most of the time I don't. After I do those, I do my drums, then the bassline. Everything should be in the same key

I make the melody and counter melodies with the same instrument at first to make sure its in key then usually change the instrument for the counter melody cause sometimes starting with another instrument makes it sound like its outta key. What a damn run-on lol

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL... man you could have used at least one comma in that 'sentance'. Ya that's something that I do too sometimes... it happens mostly when I'm working with one bass and then switch it later on though. Sometimes you just gotta find what sounds right.

counter melodies are created like creating the drum beat.
as the bass snare hat and toms have to compliment each other,the same is how it should be with any composed part. it's about the dancing partner theory. don't step on your partners toes.it hurts the track. get it in where it fits.

Back