cool rhodes eq for y'all

B

breakbeat-cafe

I read this in an interview with a guy who's produced for rakim and stevie wonder so it's gotta be hot right?

Try boosting 3db at 10kHz 2db at 360Hz and 2db at 100Hz to get a cool Rhodes sound.

it'd work magic on real rhodes then, i'd imagine, if thats the real context of that 'tip'.

i wonder what it'd do to (decent?) emulated rhodes (ie/ loungelizard, motif, etc)? hmm... interesting

Either way, you would need so much more info to get the same results as that engineer. If he's referring to a live Rhodes recording, you would have to use the same amp, mic(& distance & angle), room, ect.

Basically, your recording would have to have the same frequency print to use those EQ adjustments and get the same results. You'd probably do better listening to one of his mixes and trying to match it by ear.

Yea that is probably in ideal situations. I wouldn't apply that specifically to any Rhodes emulations, as things like Lounge Lizard are tweaked to sound as good as they can and will just sound less like the real thing.

To be honest, if you're using a real Rhodes, the best sound comes from signal chain. I hate to use anything digital on my Rhodes. I'm not lucky enough to own a suitcase, but my stage is set up beautifully. Once the rhodes is set up properlly, and you have a good boost in signal (and maybe some nice tube drive somewhere) then all you need is a little reverb and it sounds like a dream.....

Well that's all very interesting but essentially useless information. There are so many factors contributing to the sound, as stated before, that you can only try EQing the sound yourself and listening what sounds good. Besides, I usually only like to boost the lower midrange a bit, around 250-600hz. I don't like my rhodes sparkling at the top. So to each his own in this case too, I suppose. :)

How can you say that!????

NI Elektrik piano is poor. Fair enough, it is sampled based and has more chance of capturing the real sound of a Rhodes, but I found it very static with no real dynamic tone to it. Even lounge lizard does a better job of the character of a Rhodes.

I think what you meant to say was that no digital copy can do a REAL rhodes justice.... ;)

Back