Controlling Filter Sweeps and AtmosphereFx

Tyu22

Hi all -

I'm new to this forum and it seems quite nice with a lot of useful information ;-)

How do you control your Fx sweeps or any modulated atmospheric Fx going in the background ?

I have used and tried different approaches, but so far none of them seem to be giving me the flexibility that I want.

For example. Take some random white/pink noise. Automating the Cutoff Freq, you can get it to go up or down to build momentum.

Using LFO's to do the modulation works too.

Timestretching, to a certain extent, works too.

Adjusting the ADHSR gives you some flexibility too.

What I'm having trouble with, is controling it exactly how I want too. Like for let's say I want the sweep to go over four bars, with a certain decrease.

Sometimes the LFO works but I don't have control over the decay. Timestretching works for certain things but you're stuck with your original sound with no control over decay. Automation works with a lot of fine tuning. I've just started to really explore more the ADHSR controls....

Maybe a combination of multiple ways ?

I'd be curious to know how you guys approach this. Do you have a favorite software you're using to do this ?

Thanks,

PS: I mostly make house music, if it helps to know what kind of effect I'm after.

-=m.

Filter sweeps are usually controlled by the mod wheel. Pushing or turning the wheel one way opens the filter...and turning it the other way closes it. You can do this in software too but it depends on what program your using.

Last edited:
Back