constructing a beat?

swaggerbot3000

i'm kinda new to this and i just wanted to know, is it best to lay day my drum pattern first and then add my sample and melodies?

The best way is simply to find your own way, preiod. Some people like to lay dwon their drums and percussion and then add the melodies and what not thereafter, it depens on what works best for you. I personally lay the sample/melody, and then add the layered drums, percussion, etc and what not to finish it out .

i usualy have a metronome and a snare of some sort. . . . thats all, then i play melodys till im ready to lay it down. so basicl most of the melody is layed down before most of the drums.... but thats just me though, try differnt ways and see whats good for you.

Well... One is definitely going to affect the other, ex. If you lay the drums first, your instruments will be played a little differently to accommodate and will more than likely come out a little more rhythmical. BUT if you do it inverse... Your melodies will most likely ride and carry the track, the drums will be there purely for "bang" or character.

Doesnt always work like that....

yo,

Whatever is gonna be more dominate through the track is what you will start with. If it's more beat oriented then drums come first if you are going more for melody and samples those thing come first. what ever is last is usually gonna be your accompaniment

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally for me it doesn't matter, it's an iterative process. So if I lay down the drums first, then add the other tracks, I'll go back and re-work the drums. Usually that involves tweaking the sounds, and getting the timings right so it all bangs and is in sync with the groove of the sample/harmony/melody.

Back