Confused with synth sounds

EliteRezk

Ok so ive been dicking around in massive and messing with some presets i kinda understand low pass and high pass type of stuff but i have no clue on lfo, FM synth or anything to do with that. if theres a book or a tutorial or something that could point me in the right direction that would be great.

lfo is a osc that can move a another osc around, but is probably just a very limited [but used in a completely different context] version of frequency modulation synthesis which I do not know much about.

Low pass/high pass is just filters, filters are veeeery bare-bones equalizers. Messing with the functions and knobs on a synth and basic synthesis overviews that cover everything, sound design though is too broad and is a matter of using the archetype to do what you can, like subtractive synthesis or wavetable.

LFOs are really quite simple and not too much effort. So are ADSR envelopes, if you don't know them already- and ADSR envelopes are essential for sound design.

FM is a bit more complicated so I'd leave it until you understand the basics

FM synthesis (Frequency modulation) Is (in basic terms) modulating 1 osc by another osc. 1 synth which is very good for FM synthesis is Sytrus which gives a visual overview of what your are doing and is a very powerful synth. If you are still confused watch some of Seamlessr's tutorials on FM synthesis. They helped me a lot and FM synthesis is very good for making some very interesting basses.

I seem to recall the Massive manual is also a pretty decent source to learn about what the different modules do. There are also a gazillion tutorials around specifically for it since it's probably one of the most popular plugins around. I'd also suggest getting something a bit more simpler to learn with...and maybe watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMF8F9z7Zr8

There are some stickied threads in this subforum that go through the basics of synth programming. I haven't used Massive very much, but my impression is that it has a lot going on, and therefore it would be easier to learn on a simpler synth. Then you can always take your knowledge to a more complex synth.

Back