Compressing Beat

krazyk

Money Over All
i say on a post sumwhere that sum ppl save their drum patterns,melodies,bassline,etc.,from FL Studio and compress it in cool edit......i dont have that....would Soundforge 8 work or does anybody no how to to compress a beat n make it sound professional or at least sound quaility,sumthin u hear on the radio

sound forge will do just fine, but hey.. exporting tracks just to compress them? lol, that's crazy.. you can do it in your fruity loops in realtime, they even have a built-in compressor in case you don't have any third-party plug ins.

not that compression alone makes your music sound tight:)

Word, Fruity's compressor is pretty tight. i use it all the time. why bother buying another one or using something else.

so i mastr the beat in FL?........will it sound profeesional...........mah beats sound like they only sominout of 1 speaker

Yeah u can master ur beats in FL. hopefullyt u got the manual to aid u in ur quest if not holla bacc

DOnt use a compressor unless you know 100% what you are doing. If anything using one improperly will make your beats sound less professional and more dull to listen to. Your problem is probably more of a mixing issue, learn more about eq,reverb,compression etc and that will get your beats sounding more professional

i know a lot about EQing from working with car audio and soundforge and FL studio.. i understand low frequencies and highs.. reverb; i have an understanding that reverb is kind of like an echo effect basically, depending on how u use it? what i really feel like i need to to learn now is compression. ive read a lot about people saying to compress drums properly and so forth but i've never really grasped the concept as to WHY to compress certain things..in fact, i dont even understand what compression really is by definition. so can someone please break it down for me as simple as they can and let me know why its important to use compression? after that, a link to a great resource would be nice. im sure i can do some searching but i learn the most when another "regular" person explains it to me... then i can use that knowledge and expand once i grasp the concept by researching more on the subject. i think the reason i dont know much about compression is ebcause when i make a beat, i never say "i need to compress this n that" to make it sound better.. because i dont understand what it is lol. but i DO understand when and how to use the EQ. for example, sometimes ill say "man this drum is too 'bassy' im gonna take some low end out of it.. or add.." teach me to know when and how to compress!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
to put it simply..
a compressor is used to decrease the difference between the louder and the quieter parts of your track.
as long as the sound is quieter than a certain value (threshhold), the compressor doesn't do anything. but when this threshhold is exceeded, the sound gets suppressed.

i remember seeing a nice beginner article not so long ago
ima look it up

Compression is like a 2 edged sword...it can either make you sound like an amazing producer or like a newb. but compression isnt as important as EQing. Equing will help you seperate your instruments in their own spot in the frequency spectrum, it will help you shap the tone of you drums...

I do everything in FL6 Studio XXL Producers Edition. Make my beat, Mix and Master. Just get some banging Vst's. such as Compressors, Reverbs, EQ's and Limiters.

gots_no_funk said:
to put it simply..
a compressor is used to decrease the difference between the louder and the quieter parts of your track.
as long as the sound is quieter than a certain value (threshhold), the compressor doesn't do anything. but when this threshhold is exceeded, the sound gets suppressed.

i remember seeing a nice beginner article not so long ago
ima look it up

the reason for this is to increase the perceived volume of the track overall...it also makes the track more "solid" sounding, when used properly

theres no preset someone can tell you thats gonna work everytime - its upto u to decide how much to use etc etc..just read the FL manual on the program and search compressor.

Back