Composing vs. Sampling?

ftxn

I feel like so more I practice making music I get do be able to do Beyonce type of tracks when it comes to composing.

Though, I feel like when it comes to composing, then doing Hiphop tracks is not happening for myself.

When it comes to composing it has been quite a bit Beyonce type of tracks for myself, when it comes to composing for Hiphop it is more likely the snap type of or the crazy type of Beyonce tracks.

I liked making music and have had invested quite some time into this, though a great deal has been about piano, then Ballads/Pop/Jazz/Funk/R&B.

When it comes to composing Hiphop I think more of Maybach music or also DJ Khalil, though DJ Khalil would be it to myself. Other than that it are the south tracks. Also DJ Khaled's albums!

When it comes to the Timberland type of south tracks, then it sounds more like a mix of Funk/R&B/Pop to myself. Beyonce has tracks which remind me of this.

I guess many musicians go through this type of things, till they figure something for themselves out.

What I am saying with this post is that after having practiced quite a bit I am able to do Beyonce type of tracks, but I feel like I don't know about Hiphop anymore.

Remember, I wrote how I am feeling when it comes to after having practiced making music.

:hmmm: OK I'm honestly confused... are you saying you're having a hard time making hip-hop because you've been creating too much r&b?
If so then perhaps try listening to more hip-hop and watch some tutorials or producer studio sessions on YouTube.

I did not quite know how to define it more precisely. Though, when it comes to the Beyonce type tracks, also the South tracks by her, I "can" hear it and also do it, when it comes to Hiphop I do not hear it as much in my mind. At the same time I have been feeling like a lot is sampled or interpolated.

Lately, I am looking to practice jazz piano and maybe do jazzy type Hiphop, though even that is something I do not necessarily hear as much in my mind. I will listen to some Maybach music, if you have suggestions let me know!

Greetings!

Hi :)
Ok I think I understand a bit more. Yes there's a lot of sampling in hiphop, visit whosampled.com and search for a song you think is sampled, this site may help you find out. I listen to jazz but not so much jazzy hiphop but you could try and search for "jazzy rap hip-hop beats" or "jazzy rap hip-hop beats tutorial" or something like that...hopefully you will find that useful :)

I used to do a lot more sampling than now. Using "sound bites" in a sampler to make instruments is REALLY cool and original, but just chopping up whole parts of a song to re-use them seems kind of lame [of course, GOOD hip-hop doesn't do this as often]. But I love it when hip-hop uses short waveforms to sprinkle a song with that weird "recycled" vibe.

I don't know what you're trying to say.

My thoughts on the subject: sampling is much harder than composing. With composing everythings easy, you hit a C and a C plays. Sampling records involves incredible patience (which I don't have, i'm ADD) because you have to listen to all kinds of music, some of which will just plain suck. Then you finally hear that golden little piece, be it 3 seconds 10 seconds whatever. Now you load it into your sampler, and usually there's shit in that little piece that makes it difficult to use, usually drums. So you have to sculp basically every sample into what you want it to be. Then there's the issue of sound quality, a lot of source material sounds like garbage. This is good for 90s hip-hop but today even sample based records sound clean. On top of that, you have to take whatever you got, 10 seconds of material, and make something interesting with it. Turning 10 seconds into a 3 minute track is no joke.

I used to mainly sample but I don't have the patience anymore.

In short, people who shit on sampling and act like it doesn't take skill has no idea what they're talking about.

My thoughts on the subject: sampling is much harder than composing. With composing everythings easy, you hit a C and a C plays. Sampling records involves incredible patience (which I don't have, i'm ADD) because you have to listen to all kinds of music, some of which will just plain suck. Then you finally hear that golden little piece, be it 3 seconds 10 seconds whatever. Now you load it into your sampler, and usually there's shit in that little piece that makes it difficult to use, usually drums. So you have to sculp basically every sample into what you want it to be. Then there's the issue of sound quality, a lot of source material sounds like garbage. This is good for 90s hip-hop but today even sample based records sound clean. On top of that, you have to take whatever you got, 10 seconds of material, and make something interesting with it. Turning 10 seconds into a 3 minute track is no joke.

I used to mainly sample but I don't have the patience anymore.

In short, people who shit on sampling and act like it doesn't take skill has no idea what they're talking about.

I agree sampling takes time but you have no right to talk about composition like that. simply playing C is not composing. Composition is about how the notes interact with each other not the notes you play. The proper rise & fall, chord progression to compliment your melody and basslines aligned with a tuned drum kit is how emotion comes to life, samping unfortunately never quites caputres emotion like composing can. I am sorry for your compositions if you are simply "hitting c"

My thoughts on the subject: sampling is much harder than composing. With composing everythings easy, you hit a C and a C plays. .
stash-1-50672295296ba.jpeg

It took all the energy I had to not lose brain-cells reading this ignorant-ass comment, so this pic is all I could muster. Hope you wiped the drool off your keyboard with your non-gimped hand after writing that, ego-killer.

Last edited:
It depends on the idea.

That is why I mentioned "Beyonce".

This is the type of track I could do "maybe at best" and for myself it may get as hiphop as it gets:

I guess other may have gotten to understand what I mean. I have gotten a bit discouraged, though I thought if I could "hear" hiphop better and "know" better when it comes to hiphop it could be different.

As I said lately I am practicing jazz and I do not know if it is going to lead somewhere.

The way I have had mentioned all the practice of making music lead to a point where I have been thinking "wow it is just strumming those strings and putting these few sounds together". And when it comes to hiphop I feel like a lot is sampled or interpolated anyway and when it comes making music I may have such beat like above as one of my #1 beats.

rnb and hiphop, well I can't see much of a difference tbh. Lyrics definitely have a difference but rnb feels like hiphop so I can't help ya in that regard.
Especially that beat you posted by beyonce.

That bill nye pic is death! LOL!

I find that both have their own quirks. When composing i have all this freedom to do whatever but....Starting from nothing can be daunting depending on the mood. When I sample I usually find an ace sample and have this great big sound scape to work with. ..problem here is that in order to make something notable with it I have to put the effort in to manipulating the sounds to work something new out of it.

You can apply music theory to both just as much, understanding harmony will go heaps into having you make cool stuff with either or.
I tend to sample when making hiphop as the sound you get when warping samples/breaks/whatever into a mix is usually incomparable to what you can get by arranging soundfonts,vsts,etc. together. Then you think about sound qualities of older records as compared to modern recording equipment/methods...blablabla

I feel like i'm beating a dead horse so i'll stop now...

I don't believe you can really decide what is easier and what isn't. It mostly boils down to the artist and what the artist does with those elements.

There are going to be mixed responses from everyone in this thread, but you should just live by the "You only get out what you put in" rule. Whether you find one easier or harder then the other doesn't matter.

Back