Composing an orchestral piece for a film soundtrack

Squealy

Hi, I have this assignment as part of my uni course to create a soundtrack for the first 5 minutes of a film called Sintel.

Bascially I need to make a piece of recorded music but I havent got any access to any orchestral players but I can get in contact with some guitar and piano players. I will probably try and compose the main orchestral section using MIDI but I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on composing computer based orchestral music and making it work with some live acoustic instruments.

Thanks!

Idk what pro tools has but Reason will trash FL with in house synths. FL is great but if youre not trying to DL a bunch of vst's, just get reason

Does it have to be orchestral film music?

You can get some decent emulations for not too much money, look at dimension pro.

I haven't ever done this but I would write the bits that aren't going to be played live first, then play them to the live instrumentalists so when you record them they play in time. Doing it the other way around will make it really hard for you to fit the two together in time

Yeah they do but I want to try a go at composing myself and plus I heard they are quite busy so im just preparing myself and making sure ive got
a second plan just in case.

I had to do something similar - I used Miroslav Philharmonik 2 and basically added a load of effects to the sounds. Lots of big reverbs and delays.

Ended up making the following - basically its a soundtrack for a zombie film - the strings, piano, pizzicato strings and horn sections are all from Miroslav.

Hope this helps!

Back