Composing Harmanies? - Arrangement & Instrumentation

j_jano

How do you guys go about composing your harmonies in your music? As in the music in the background of that fills out the track. What instruments do you use? Do you use effects? Do you incorporate your music theory? I just wanna basically how u guys go about doing it. Feel free to drop any tips and tricks.

One Love
J

yep, just play around and make something more interesting than wats expected. Im just picking up on theory but my tracks have improved drastically and sound way more proffesional now

j_jano said:
How do you guys go about composing your harmonies in your music? As in the music in the background of that fills out the track. What instruments do you use? Do you use effects? Do you incorporate your music theory? I just wanna basically how u guys go about doing it. Feel free to drop any tips and tricks.

One Love
J

Harmnoy basically drives the music forwards or completely retards it. Some chord progression create more tension that needs to be resolved, others create no tension and some resolution. Really study harmony in depth its too much to explain in one post.

A piano/keyboard is your best friend. For your tracks, instead of having loads of instruments, just have a piano, your melody (vocal?) and some percussion. Maybe you could use a drum loop and the groove of it will help you shape the rhythm of the melody? If you already have the melody in mind, lay it down if you can play it into a controller keyboard. If you haven't got one, go buy a cheap one; it's far easier than using a mouse. Then make a drum or perc pattern that goes with it.

The key thing is building it up with the detail last. On maybe another track, get some chords that fit under the melody. The strong beats in your drum/perc part may help you decide where to change chords.

If it's sounding good at this point and only then, you could separate out individual notes from your keyboard harmony and give them to other instruments. Worry about things like sampler patches and effects very last thing.

An old trick to adding harmony (specifically called 'countermelody') is copying the melody to a new track (and intrument), putting the entire thing up four semitones OR down 8 semitones, perhaps using the Matrix editor? Most of the time, these notes will fit as harmony.

Bass lines are perhaps the most important aspect of harmony. Unless you know about inversions, put the lowest note (bass guitar, synth, whatever) as the lowest note of the chord you're in and don't change it anywhere near as often as the melody. When to change it? You'll need to know what chord you're already on, then make it the root of it (e.g. for A minor, use A).

There's no two ways about it, you'll need to know something about theory to make harmonies work. Imagination is important, and you're in the best position to make it work because you'll know the style you want.

As for me, I'm a nerdy student with nothing better to do!

Percy

All of my music is electronic instrumentals created using hardware and software synthesizers and software samplers.

Often if the melody is changing fast, I'll intentionally make the harmonies change more slowly. Other times it's the other way around. The purpose is to add variety and contrast.

If the melody is mostly in the bass, then I'll make the harmony up in the treble so that the two aren't competing for the same frequency range. Sometimes it's the other way around.

The actual notes that I chose are based upon thinking about intervals such as 3 or 7 semitones up, or 5 semitones down. As I'm playing around with it, I listen to it and get ideas of other notes to add or take away. Sometimes I make mistakes and if the mistakes sound good I incorporate them into the harmony. I had some music theory growing up, and I play the piano so coming up with harmony isn't hard. However, I don't think I could do vocal harmonies if I had to.

Most of my keyboard sounds come with reverb or delay on them and most of the time I edit the sounds to get rid of the reverb or delay. I find that the effects are too intense and distracting. If I want effects, I add them later during mixing. That way I can dial up a delay that matches the BPM of the song, or a reverb that isn't too washed up. I often use stereo chorus or phaser on sounds to make them sound more stereophonic and richer.

As I build harmonies, I try to choose different types of instruments that sound different from each other. Each instrument in the track is unique. For example if I use 2 bass sounds, one will be short and punchy and bright, and the other one will be longer and softer and smoother. Sometimes I use 2 different instruments simultaneously for the same part, but it's basically like using one instrument that sounds thicker.

That's pretty much how I do it. I hope this is helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Music certainly does haev implied chord progressions. It's to a point where you can listen to a song and know exactly where the chords aree going to go. What I do when I compose is floow the opposite of my instincts. For me this keeps things fresh and exciting. because subconsciously it makes the mind go WTF. Why did he go to that chord he was supposed to go to this chord. That then brings us back to the fact that there are no rules!!! Chords are key to filling out a track whether they are down with instrumentation or vocals. You should study chords start with the basic major and minor chords then you can add 7ths and 9ths. you can diminsih them, damn I 'm getting excited I'm going to compose.... LATER

Back