Composing Challenge

Justin Rockwell

I been taking Piano since August and I've learned alot so far and I got this idea from a guest speaker. He discussed how people can build the most successful beats/compositions from the simplest melodies. So below is a picture of a simple melody I made up. It sounds best with piano or string sounds/synths (recommended). It's to be played LEGATO (smooth). The speaker said usually when he gives his students this idea, they use the small piece as the main melody and build off of it making it more complex. So the piece is below and I'm posting it so ya'll can get a hot beat out of it!!

SimplePiece.jpg

LEGATO (smooth)...70-85 tempo (recommended)...Oh yeah, the left hand is NOT played as a chord, it's all together (one after another).

Post up your version if ya want.

Last edited:
ill try when i get home, im thinking of taking lessons as well, i can play stuff by ear, but i want "know" a little more, like composition techniques and such

can someone tell me what notes they are i cant read a stave

I was sitting here just LOOK-ing at the 7 note melody line... and somethign just wasn't right about it... for some strange reason, I'm trying to imagine what it sounds like, as an exercise, in my head (I dont have perfect pitch, lol...) and for the LIFE of me, all I can "hear" in my damn head is "Hall of the Mountain King" .

I mean, it cant be. You know? I dont have that kind of ear....

*koff koff* but... I shook myhead and fired up fruity loops... dropped them in as quarter notes, in 4/4 time, no rests. @ 140BPM......

I mean, NOW, I can hear Hulst/Grieg really "going to town", LMAO

so... I cranked up the BPM, added like a couple more notes from your "scale" you gave us... voila, I'm TELLING you, thats the first 7 notes from "Hall of the mountain king", and if you dont believe me, just crank up the speed to 300 BPM, then you hear it.

I started treating your 7 notes like a scale, and I dont really know how everyone else here uses a scale, but... since I'm self taught, I first make a monophonic melody line, then i go back and look at teh scale I am picking melody line from, and start looking to see "how many chords can i GET out of this? Theres a full minor... theres a 1st/7th... theres a 1st/minor3rd... OOH! theres a minor3rd/5th... cool... where can I put these in at?...

and when i did that with this one, I started finding the "bum-BUM...bum-BUM..." partial chords the composer must have used.

Honestly, if this 7 note melody line isnt the first seven notes from "hall of the mountain king" ?? then its very close. if you listen to what i made in 20 minutes out of those 7 notes, you'll likely agree with me??

or I'm nuts. (well could be...lol... but, how do i post my version up here so you san see what i mean?)

Actually when I was messin around and made this line, it did sound like somethin I had heard before, I just could'nt remember what.

Last edited:
O well im gna give this a try man i just hope it doesnt turn out wack imao

Back