Composing

Jiten

Hi there,
please tell me how uch knowledge should a dj have to produce techno, trance etc. music live and if there is a special thing please tell me. PLease feel free to share any of u're opinion. or the composing menas to give write notes after one note.

yeah, composing is pretyt much writing notes after notes, or playing them on a keyboard and recording the MIDI signals as you press the keys (same result, it makes notes on the sequencer screen).

To produce trance, techno.. you will probably need a synthesizer (Novation SUPERNOVA, or a VIRUS B.. something like this) and also a sampler or a DRUM MODULE (MIDI device that produces only drum sounds). Hook everything audio-wise to a studio mixer, and hook all the MIDI to the computer. Get a MIDI controller (100 USD for a cheap keyboard) and hook it up to the computer as well. Install CUBASE VST 5 or LOGIC or CAKEWALK, this is your sequencer, where you will assign each track to a MIDI instrument, and start writing notes.

OR

Or you can get Fruity Loops ( http://www.fruityloops.com )or REASON 1.0 ( http://www.propellerheads.se ) which are programs simulating a real studio, with samplers, syntheiszers, drumboxes... it's software, but if you have a good computer it will sound quite well.

As you are starting to compose, I suggest you to download the demos of these 2 programs, and start learning. Buy the one you prefer, and maybe in a few monmths or a year, you will invest more money and get some hardware.

As for playing live, this is maybe a bit early to say.. You will need to first compose all your music (home studio) and then you will be able to play live, but you still need to prepare it as a separate thing.

Good luck!

Thanks manoOne,
but i'have fruityloops 2.7, how can i use midi with it, and i have a Roland JV-35 midi compatibl synth, and expandable, i use fruityloops, and i'am now going to by, fruityloops 3.0, Orion and Reason, i think. but surely fruityloops.

AND WE ARE NOT GODS.

Actually, composing music like Trance, Deep House, and or Hardcore Techno should be left to the GODS... There are only a select few who can master the skill. The rest of us must bow our dazed heads in awe and pray for the ability to even understand what we hear. For you see, the GODS never have to learn anything because they were born all knowing ... and Blah... Blah... Blah... I'm starting to make myself sick... lol :D

i know we are not gods, and cannot be, but atleast we should try it , makin trance is not much too hard, it's just an ablity to understand anythung, like if we see a picture beautiful we can express it but makin trakce or techno, or industrial. we cannot be god neither do they but they ahve more knoledge about it.

Yes there is the concept of born talent ,,, but generally the desire to do something is an indicator of, at the very least, undeveloped talent. The more u like something, the more u do it, the better u get at it. :)

DanMan

Now u're talking o the point, interest makes it hobby and hobby makes it PROFESSILONAL. aint' i write.rest about Hardcore Techno and Industrial, they are more towards expressing some Veridict of GOD or us.

hey jiten ..
ever considered taking basic music lessons ..
learn about notes, how they sound and musical structures like chords, triplets, doublets, etc..
now, after knowing some of it .. listen to the type of songs that you like to compose ..
observe the arrangement, observe the tunes, carefully observe ..
learn from it .. and don't forget to experiment because you don't want your songs sounding like others ..

the point is .. learn your notes .. there is no need of going deep in classical stuff or so ..

in india, here, learn some ragas, some filmi songs .. join a keyboard class ..
that should broaden your prespective on music ..
after that you set your own path ..
wish you all the best..

digitus, jiten....re:gods

when it comes to the notes actually used to compose trance melodies and bass lines are really not very complicated theoretically....in fact most knowledgeable composers and musicians who set out to do trance usually make the mistake of making their compositions too complicated. often theory can get in the way. coming from a larger perspective, trance is incredibly simple theoretically.....there is not too much to actually know beyond a few scales or so.... and i think here is the difficulty of this music: to take simple melodic and bass phrases and make them sound complicated
most trance that i hear is usually in phrygian, pure minor, or less frequently, mixo lydian.
since the bass is most often just pounding away at the tonic and rarely does any significant root movement, most trance can be understood as pedal chords, that is, diatonic major or minor triads (within the note of the scale) over the root or base note.
for instance, in e phrygian: e-f-g-a-b-c-d-e, we would have: e-mi/e,f-maj/e,g-maj/e,a-min/e,b-min/e, c-maj/e, and d-maj/e. even this may be over kill to know since we're not talking about actual chords being played but chords being implied by the melodic lines.
within this scale: e-f-g-a-b-c-d-e there are three very consonant notes: e, g, and b, by consonant i mean that they are very easy to rest on and the other notes tend to want to resolve or gravitate towards these. what makes this scale so special (this is actually in india called bairavi and is said to have been given to humanity by shiva)is that the two most consonant notes the root and fifth (e and b)both have a upper neighbor tone just a half step away (half-step= the smallest musical interval in western and many other kinds of music) these two upper neighbors (f and c respectively) tend to gravitate very strongly back to the root and fifth,.... that is f to e and c to b and give an intensely religiously trance like quality. try this on your key board:
play a sustained low bass note of e and then play an octave or more higher this succession of notes: e-f-d-f-e, b-c-a-c-b...
this scale is also very special because of all 7 of the standard 7 note scales or modes it is the only one which, if split in half, have intervalically identical halves. these two halves are usually referred to as lower and upper tetra-chords (tetra meaning four and chords meaning a group of notes) these are e-f-g-a and b-c-d-e ...intervalically they are half-whole-whole (e to f is a half step, f to g is a whole step, and g to a is a whole step)
the most important thing to keep in mind is that all the other notes tend to "dance" around the three most consonant notes (e-g-b) and create tension and resolve to these notes......
hope this helps

It's probably not such a good reflection on the genre of trance that people can 'explain' how to write it - i.e. the chordal and structural basis has become a bit cliched and not very experimental. There's almost a formula to writing chart-friendly trance.

I personally favour more progressive house, more diverse sounds & influences, etc. But each unto their own :)

I agree that learning some basic music theory is a good idea. I play piano (grade 7) and studied music at sixth form but there's no need to go that far.

Knowing some basic theory of harmony can help you understand why something sounds wrong, and how to put it 'right' - but the most important thing is to have a very critical ear so that you can tell it's wrong in the first place.

Take it easy

P.S. I write music entirely using software (Cubase, Rebirth, Goldwave). I think there will be less and less need for hardware samplers as time goes on.

If you're interested, check out my own tune - it falls vaguely into the category of progressive / tech-house.

:)

Thanks for the Knowledge to u all , now i think i'll have to start some musical classes. but the knowledge i have puts me inot the state where i can tell that this note is wrong not for songs. my friends say that my mind is on the side of Rythems. i've produced my own songs, one of then are GOD IS A DJ HE ROCKS REMIX, TiPPo HoPPo, and The Torneto. i'll let u hear them some time .

hey amanda1 are u INDIAN.

if you're well studied you can really explain, and make any music sound scientific. That's what makes that genre the way it is certain structural similarities.

OK, that's right glory. i know it i'am tryin to get hands on the keyboard. i'll soon learn it .

Back