common hip Hop and R&B Chord progressions

C

capoeiraike

wudup peoples? I am curious if any of you FP's out there know any common hip hop and R & B chord progressions? get at me, peace.

daliLLama said:
Do you ever post anything helpful bro? Or is it always your lame a** one liners? Try not to be such a douchebag guy

get established son before you try bashing the veterans

Yo nicnac that's a sick chord progression. And I'd say it's a tad older than 2 years.

Some patterns I've noticed in Hip Hop and RnB.

A lot of Hip Hop chord progressions come from classical music. Major V makes it sound real epic. Something like this:

i - VII - VI - V7 - VI - iv - V - i

RnB often uses jazz inspired chord progressions. Mad seven and nine chords (and elevens and thirteens if you dare). Give this one a try:

iii9 - VI7 - ii9 - V7 - ii9 - V7 - Imaj9 - VII7

Of course there is overlap between these generes so you see classical and jazz and a whole bunch of other stuff in both hip hop and RnB.

aright timmy I got a question for ya. I was playin the r&b progression u posted and I noticed that it doesn't follow the I-ii-iii-IV-V-vi format (of a major key) because ur VI is major..and I never knew there was a VII chord.

excuse me if it's a dumb question but can u explain how that works out?

Ah excellent observation YBG. So why is VI major and whats goin on with VII? This will be kind of hard to explain in one post but I'll try.

In my original example these two chords are functioning as secondary/applied dominant chords. You will notice that they are both dominant 7 chords, and this is crucial to their function. You should also note the chord that they proceed. The VI7 comes before ii and the VII7 before iii.

Let's take C major. In this case ii is d minor. Now the dominant of d minor is A7. So even though A7 isn't diatonic to the key of C, it can still be used right before d minor to give some extra forward motion. Same with VII7 leading to iii. In this case iii is e minor. The dominant of e minor is B7 so it can be employed directly before e.

In this fashion you can also use:

I7 before IV
II7 before V and
III7 before vi, in addition to
VI7 before ii and
VII7 before iii.

Hope this helps!

This is some good stuff thanks for this. see we need more ish like this posted and talked about good work guys

Timmy Talent said:
Ah excellent observation YBG. So why is VI major and whats goin on with VII? This will be kind of hard to explain in one post but I'll try.

In my original example these two chords are functioning as secondary/applied dominant chords. You will notice that they are both dominant 7 chords, and this is crucial to their function. You should also note the chord that they proceed. The VI7 comes before ii and the VII7 before iii.

Let's take C major. In this case ii is d minor. Now the dominant of d minor is A7. So even though A7 isn't diatonic to the key of C, it can still be used right before d minor to give some extra forward motion. Same with VII7 leading to iii. In this case iii is e minor. The dominant of e minor is B7 so it can be employed directly before e.

In this fashion you can also use:

I7 before IV
II7 before V and
III7 before vi, in addition to
VI7 before ii and
VII7 before iii.

Hope this helps!

thank u for the explaination :)

Hey all..i was just wondering what chords do they use to make those old mike jackson or the pharrell type vibes...theres a vid on the net of pharrell making a beat and its just reminds me of that old mike.
i wanna learn to play notes like that in making my beats...i cant explain what they sound like...like that frontin song by pharrell when it breaks down to the bass and its just a crazy vibe... make u say ooooooooo if any 1 know what i mean please answer me i been wondering so long...

i just wish their was a book on just chord progressions like how theirs a chord chart for guitars i want one for piano, chords, chord progressions this is a big one, and diff styles of chord progressions like jazz, soul, rnb, boobies

You can mess around with chord progressions on your piano. That way you can find whatever chord progression you need. Different chord progressions portray different moods.

Or, if you don't really want to play around with chord progressions, and you want to know those Michael Jackson or Pharrell progressions, you can pick up some sheet music where their songs are transcribed at your local music store. And I'm pretty sure you can look up "Michael Jackson guitar tabs" online and see the progressions, also.

Syentiffic said:
You can mess around with chord progressions on your piano. That way you can find whatever chord progression you need. Different chord progressions portray different moods.

Or, if you don't really want to play around with chord progressions, and you want to know those Michael Jackson or Pharrell progressions, you can pick up some sheet music where their songs are transcribed at your local music store. And I'm pretty sure you can look up "Michael Jackson guitar tabs" online and see the progressions, also.

i dont know how to read music...i was hoping some 1 would know..then id look up a vid where those chords are and go from there and see what i can come up with...so mabey if u could read music i'd try and get the sheet music,im sure its on the net...but thanks for the reply..

this might sound dumb to people who know chord progression and music theory but how do you translate what keys are played for something like
I know the notes on the keyboard and which keys correspond but thats about it. is it possible to learn a little bit of chord progression without much background knowledge on theory? how do you know which keys correspond to the chord VII, etc? is that question even correct? is the whole thing that Timmy Talent wrote out the progression made up of individual chords?

Timmy Talent said:
Yo nicnac that's a sick chord progression. And I'd say it's a tad older than 2 years.

Obi meant that the original post was 2 years old, not the progression itself. I will agree that this question has been answered countless times since 2006, so why answer an old question?

And besides, why the hell would you want your music to sound like everyone else's played out garbage? Write the music as it comes, don't think you have to stick to dry, boring chord progressions.

beatslayer said:
this might sound dumb to people who know chord progression and music theory but how do you translate what keys are played for something like
I know the notes on the keyboard and which keys correspond but thats about it. is it possible to learn a little bit of chord progression without much background knowledge on theory? how do you know which keys correspond to the chord VII, etc? is that question even correct? is the whole thing that Timmy Talent wrote out the progression made up of individual chords?

Looking at a regular scale, you have 7 notes, 7 chords I II III IV V VI VII. Some of these might be major/minor/diminished. When you see a chord progression written down like that the ones written in capitol are major, the other ones (i, iv in your example) are minor chords.

sometimes it's hard to find the scale of a chord progression because it might be in a different mode or whatever. Just go by the first chord and count the notes from that scale. For example in C Minor:

C minor - Bb major - Ab major - G Major7 - Ab major - F minor - G Major - C Minor

Now looking at a "natural" minor scale you might say that the V isnt a major chord, but this progression is in the C Harmonic Minor scale which raises the 7th (second note of the 5th chord) up 1 semitone.

Back