Combination of Chords...

Wakeon

Hey everybody!!
I'm a little bit desperate today. Indeed, I try to find chords which are good between them, a combination of chords but I don't know how to do to chords that do well together. Do you have some tips, or some rules to help me in that situation :)?
Thanks a lot!!

Hey everybody!!
I'm a little bit desperate today. Indeed, I try to find chords which are good between them, a combination of chords but I don't know how to do to chords that do well together. Do you have some tips, or some rules to help me in that situation :)?
Thanks a lot!!
Short answer:
mpbzntxuufmsa4vlx2mk.jpg

Chord progressions for days....

Long answer:
2. Diatonic Harmony -- LearnMusicTheory.net

If you can't be bothered with either of those, a couple of freebie lessons I did:

As i can understand, you know chords but you dont know to make chord progression,

First of all its the scale where you want to start from, if it is c, d, e, f, g, a, b, c

About what note you start from depends on the vocal range of the artist that is about to sing, and also to make sure where the bass behaves best because it sounds different when you play the bass on 20hz, 50hz, 100hz, and that depends on what key you are there

Than you play chords from that key depending on what style of music you play

For example you may want something like
dminor, fmajor, c major
dminor, g minor, c major, d minor
G minor, c minor, g minor, g minor, f major, g minor

If you want more like traditional chord progression your chord progression should have that drop, to make it more relaxing, you start somewhere you go up, and you get back again,
If you want something more dramatic, like rick ross beats, thats a different story,
You should check some chord progressions from songs you like and learn more

All right :)
But is there a method to find correct chords :)?
For example if I have a melody or a vocal, how to find correct chords, chords who are okay with the melody and/or the vocals :)?
Thanks

Well what you asking is a little bit tricky that even people with more than 2 years experience with piano and guitar have difficult to do but here is something you may want to try and see

Try to make the chords first and melodies second, because on that way you know where your chords and scale, are and you can easier build melodies on top of that scale

But if you already have a melody there, like a vocal hook or whatsoever : than try to identify what notes that melody is playing and write the notes on your daw

Here i got one melody notes are like
F, d, f, d, f, f, f, g, e, c, e, c, e, c, e, f, e, d, c, d

So as we can see on these notes we have the f+d chant at beggining, which makes it a d minor chord

If you play like f, d, f, d than a d minor chord you see that it works together

And we also have c + e chant wich makes it a c major, if you play c + e few times than c major chord after you see that it works together

We also have that g note, wich is a little tricky, because we can add a g chord there to suit to that but that is not a must do , we can , we can stick with only d minor and c major chords on this situation

So chords of these song i would only let them d minor, and c major, because that g and the f its not like chanting too much to add a g minor chord, and we dont want our chords to jump up and down just because one note there

But when the c and the e is chanting there like three times you sure need to add a c major chord there

And when that last note d sure is expecting you to get back to d minor

I hope this gives you an idea of how chords work, all the best from me, Laureat Ramadani

Smooth Chords

If you want something to stand out, I would forget about playing chords all in the same scale. Experience and use borrowed chord from other scales. There are lots of tips and techniques at the link below.
Also in this video here.

Check out Soulful-keys for more

Last edited:
look at the circle of fifths learn it and u will know what works with what its just a matter of varying the chord voicings then

Back