College assignment help needed!

_Soothsayer

Hi guys,

Needing a little help with a college assignment.

The brief was to create a track demonstrating your abilities in sound design, so making synth/ sampler patches, automating parameters, etc. However, part of the assignment was also to research an artist/ track to use as a reference, so that later down the line we could do a write up explaining how we imitated their techniques. This part of the brief I did not read properly.

So I went and wrote the most out there track piece of music I could and now I have a (nearly) finished track with no idea of what I can use as a reference track. Lesson learnt: read the assignment briefs properly.

So you question to you guys is, can you give me any artists/ tracks that are similar, compositionally, or more importantly, use similar sounds to mine.

You can hear the track here:

https://soundcloud.com/soothsayer0/assignment-help-needed/s-2CL02

Many thanks guys!

Last edited:
Link is broken... you need to use the link you get from pressing 'share' rather than the one at the top of the page.

it gets worse I tried to have a listen and I get file cannot be found - have you made the track private?

I really don't know how I've managed to **** up this badly, or how I expect to pass a college course when I can hardly post a link.

Anyway, should definitely work now.

is that a tascam us2400 in the photo at your soundcloud? I've got one of those, way cool too.

as for your track it sounds a bit like shpongle (if the same epithets which were applied to one of my tracks (speak to me child) when I had never heard of shpongle can be used here)

Last edited:
Other artists in that vein would be Younger Brother and OTT - perhaps having a listen to a few albums from these guys would give you a few different options, and maybe give you some other ideas and inspiration for the project and future compositions.

I love the track, definitely got a cool vibe. I'd say the section at around 2.35 could do with a bit more adding to it to flesh out that middle section.

I've also realized I know you and your girlfriend, haha

Back