Chorus, Verse, Bridge ? What makes & separates them ?

JaxBeats

Lately i've been struggling with my chorus and verse differential. New producer btw.

I understand its different for each track but is there an expected pattern for the chorus, verse, ect.. ?

Taking out instruments in replace for something else? Adding or deleting instruments for a specific part ?

just make sure they all flow together seamlessly, no weird jumps or anything. Try creating drum licks and build into the chorus etc. bridges should be noticeably different from the verses etc. Drop instruments, claps/snares/kicks hats etc etc.

skys the limit, just do what sounds good. without drum fills etc in your beat, it's going to sound repetitive, so make sure you get some variety in there. Although repetitive beats dont always sound so repetitive when you get someone to actually rap over it, as a general rule you should make it varied.

The post by Blackjax is correct on all counts, no need to elaborate on anything there. However there are some standard song forms that it helps to get acquainted with. For example, where A = verse, B = pre-chorus (section building to chorus) and C= Chorus:
1. Intro - A - A - C - A - C - Outro (most simple I would say)
2. Intro - A - A - B - C - A - B - C - Outro.

And many, many more. The reason to learn song forms is more so that you know the standard rules so you can start breaking them rather than simply recycling them. These basic song forms are as they are because this is simply the way songs like to flow a lot of the time, but variations are always a good idea as long as it serves the material. Read up on Sonata form and other classical forms if you are really looking for some inspiration in this department.

A = verse, B = pre-chorus (section building to chorus) and C= Chorus:
1. Intro - A - A - C - A - C - Outro (most simple I would say)
2. Intro - A - A - B - C - A - B - C - Outro.

This is a good method to start with. Most music producers listen to a lot of music, at all times, it's key to know music if you're to be successful. When you're listening to music dissect. Listen to the sequencing, try to catch on to patterns and what not. You can learn a lot about sequencing and transitions and what not just from the music you listen to.

So, yeah the differences between different sections are what you make them - no more or less

Each section could have it's own chord prog, especially true of the bridge and possible true for a chorus.

Your intro could be based on your Bridge or your chorus or your verse or something else entirely.

Instruments added or subtracted are bases on what you think will work

see this for more insight into how song structures can be developed for your use ~ Bandcoach ~ Beginning Theory 3: Song Structures

Back