Chords, does your edm track have to have a chord progression? or a chords at all?

DJMSherman

Rookie Audio Producer
JUst wondering if your track has to have a chord progression? Lately I have listened to some tracks that either I cant tell where the chord is or it doesn't have one. Some tracks I listen to have a very sparse singe trad chords maybe every 8 bars or so, not really a progression? thoughts? if you are required to have a chord progression or not? lol

All music theory is just describing and putting labels on things so you know how to replicate them next time, rather than actually being hard rules like most people think.

Chords are the same - rather than having to write out all the notes you use over the track and when you use them you can say 'oh it's a four chord C-Am-G-F progression' and someone who know theory will know how that sounds and how it could be manipulated.

If you can describe it more easily by saying 'it's just a one note bassline and a two note hook' then that's fine.

Unless your track is a single sine wave you have a chord progression. It might not be easily classified, or it might be too simple to need classification, but it's there.

Every song has chords/progressions. Where the chords are played melodically or harmonically

Back