Chords on acoustic guitar sound too low.

aceover9

Sometimes I'll want to make a song feel fuller by adding some rhythm chords via an acoustic guitar.

Only problem is I suck at the acoustic guitar.

In trying to learn chords and the best ways to apply them I often find that, while the chord may be of the proper note that I want, it often sounds too low and sometimes too full. Almost as if there should be chords higher on the neck of the guitar. And there may be but every tutorial or chart I find teaches the same ones.

I've tried strumming without the lower strings and it kinda works but often times ends up sounding too thin or missing key notes.

Any have any ideas on this? It's tricky to explain but a person in the know can probably guess what I'm getting at despite the goofy explanation.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, you are talking about playing chords in different positions/places on the neck, and/or playing "partials," where you can leave out some parts of the chord (often bass notes or redundant notes) for a different sound. You will need to do some study and practice, and to do that, you'll have to move beyond looking at first position open chords (the usual G, C, D type chords that we guitar "bangers" often play). When you learn barre chords, you find that they are moveable. There are other chord shapes that are moveable too, but most people that have been playing a long time (with more dedication and stronger pinkies than I) use barre chords...

A few suggestions/possibilities-- try finding material on-line or a DVD and practice on your own, take some lessons, or hire a guitar-player and help the musical community at-large. Or, get a decent keyboard or synth app that has a good acoustic guitar patch, and learn how to properly emulate a half-way decent acoustic sound on keys. Then you can play with many different chord inversions to see which you like (being careful to keep your notes within the realm of "realistic" guitar sounds, if that's what you're going for).

GJ

Back