Chord theory books?

Would anyone be kind enough to refer me to a book that specializes in the teaching of chord theory, preferably for keyboard/piano? I've been looking around on the net and they're are a lot of titles to choose from. I was hoping some of the people here on this forum have personally read through some and are able to help me narrow down my search.

Mate check out Harmony for Computer Musicians

its a great book has everything you want, and it uses the piano roll format to explain things

Would anyone be kind enough to refer me to a book that specializes in the teaching of chord theory, preferably for keyboard/piano? I've been looking around on the net and they're are a lot of titles to choose from. I was hoping some of the people here on this forum have personally read through some and are able to help me narrow down my search.

1st up

Harmony for Computer Musicians is a waste of space if you are looking for deep teaching/learning

that said,

Harmony: Piston/DeVoto

The Jazz theory Book: Mark Levine

101 Montunos Rebeca Mauleon Santana

any of the books from Jazz & Latin Music Real Books and Method Books | Sher Music Co.

1st up

Harmony for Computer Musicians is a waste of space if you are looking for deep teaching/learning
How is it a "waste of space"?

Back when I posted my initial response, I just knew you would have a knee-jerk reaction to the first bit without reading it all.......

1st up

I have emphasised the conditional statement that makes my initial statement a valid criticism of yours, i.e. if you are looking for shallow, quick learning then HfCM is a reasonable buy, if you are looking for something that delves deeper, look at what I posted after the statement.

Back when I posted my initial response, I just knew you would have a knee-jerk reaction to the first bit without reading it all.......
I have emphasised the conditional statement that makes my initial statement a valid criticism of yours

lol.. umm anyways...

I liked the book

Last edited:
I can tell you...download the app The Chord Wheel, for your phone. It tells you ever chord that's in every key, and the variations.

For info on the notes that make up those chords, just google a piano chord chart.

Back