chord progressions

big up the yaadie

what u waan know, be more specific.

lookin at a piano an u have different notes. every note belongs in a certain scale (key). aight check dis, the A Major Scale contains A, B, Csharp, D, E, Fsharp, Gsharp, then ends on A. a basic chord progression follows the root note of the key, the fifth note of the key and the fourth note of the key back to the first.

written like this I-V-IV-I or I-IV-V-IV

with one chord sustaining for an entire bar.

Now, u got a note, a interval (2 notes played at once) and a chord (3 or more notes played at once) i'm assuming u know a basic chord is built upon 3 notes. The root note, then two letter notes above the root, then two letter notes above that second note. So again, the A chord would be built with A being the root note, then two letters up is Csharp, then two letters up from that would be E.

I=A-Csharp-E
IV=Fsharp-A-Csharp
V=E-Gsharp-B

Now believe it or not this sounds generic but what differentiates a style of music very simply put is the riddim u play the chords in u seeit. For example, Bob Marley use dem same chords in him song stir it up, except him use a D chord instead of an F chord (if i memba correctly).

Now all u have to do is find out the different key signatures or scales and u can figure out every chord.

C=C,D,E,F,G,A,B
D=D,E,Fsharp,G,A,B,C
E=E,Fsharp,Gsharp,A,B,Csharp,Dsharp
F=F,G,A,Bflat,C,D,E
G=G,A,B,C,D,E,Fsharp
A=A,B,Csharp,D,E,Fsharp,Gsharp
B=B,Csharp,Dsharp,E,Fsharp,Gsharp,AshaRP

Then u have more scale key signatures

Then learn the circle of fifths and learn how to transition between the two. Hopefully dis help still, respec

The Fourth - I've never seen it explained so easily...I mean I understood every word you said! Good stuff bra!

basically in a note's key signature w w h w w w h for major keys and for minor keys w h w w h w w.

whole step is going across 1 key. half step is going from one key to the next

so then u have major triad [chord] which is two thirds from a root key.
a chord progression is like

I to V. so from C which is I. you get C-E-G. w w from c to e. then from e to g whole and half step.

Then the next part that is played the chord progression is starting from V. the C major scale goes I. C II. D III. E IV. F V. G VI. A VII. B VIII. C

so now at V. you start at G, and have a major third [w w] and a minor third [w h]. So G-B-D.

I. C-E-G then to V. G-B-D

Last edited:
strizzack said:
The Fourth - I've never seen it explained so easily...I mean I understood every word you said! Good stuff bra!

lol, I was about to say the same thing.

Thanx guys that helped alot, but one thing
do all r&b songs uses the seventh chords? or minor? and the type of chord progressions i'm talking about is for piano, r&b & reggae, and Thanx again guys.

Yo, The Fourth deserves some serious credit, that was the best explanation of chord progressions ive ever seen, i had to learn bout them in college, an my tutor nearly reduced me to tears with a constant explanation, wish i had that to explain it me first time round.

oh, an R&B-stick to major chords for happy tunes, minor for sad ones, an experiemtn using sevenths, and perfects intervals like 4ths, 5ths and octavees, this will give a 'nice' sound.

thanks 4 tha props. i noticed i actually made a mistake tho, the IV chord of Amajor is actually Dmajor.

But uh, reggae chords I notice stick mostly to standard chords with less alterations, mostly 7ths. The bang is usually just another octave of the same chord with some notes altered occasionally to suit the melody.

Check out some jazz music cause reggae stems from old jazz and bebop. at least that's what i think. oh and check out this site

http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net

if anybody else got some sheet music sites post, share em por favor

i finally got that thanks to fourth except how is F# the the IV in that key wouldn't it be D or what am i doing wrong ??

Back