Chord progression question.

DJMSherman

Rookie Audio Producer
Ok, still learning theory, however let's say you have a 8 bar chord progression. Triads....but some our Sevenths....is that ok? Or do they all have to be 1 or the other. Thanks.

honestly anything is fine. if it sounds good to you, do it. the purpose of learning music theory is to learn how to break the rules. in an ideal situation, there are no rules. jazz piano has really interesting chords and mixture of notes, including notes not within the scale. neo-soul is an even further form of this idea. your goal is to not always stick with just what you know, but try out something new, like sevenths, like ninths, inversions, etc. it may be too early to try deviating from normal theory, but just know that such a thing exists, and there is no concrete way to making music.

Last edited:
yup, for sure man. anything you want to do is good as long as you like the way it sounds.
i like your thought process so far and would encourage you to even add some other technique and chords as well, as mentioned above.

force those limits and create that tension.
sounds like youre headed in the right direction!

Last edited:
Agreed. If it sounds right, it is right.

I'd say for starters it should be safe to use 7th Chords on the Tonic, Dominant and Sub-Dominant.
So if you write in a major key you could just write your I, IV and V Chords as 7th Chords and it should be fine. Same applies for minor keys too.

Back