Chord Progression to the piano in this??

typhy

do ya thing bandcoach.
I'm trying to learn how to figure out myself by ear but I can just never find the correct chord!

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 PM ----------

this one as well.. thanks bandcoach lol

i-[sup]b[/sup]VII-[sup]b[/sup]VI-v[sup]7[/sup]-[sup]b[/sup]VII-i

Key of G minor

Gm-F-E[sup]b[/sup]-Dm[sup]7[/sup]-F-Gm

GmG-B[sup]b[/sup]-D
gMinor.png
FF-A-C
FMajor.png
E[sup]b[/sup]e[sup]b[/sup]-G-B[sup]b[/sup]
EbMajor.png
Dm[sup]7[/sup]D-F-A-C
Dm7.png

RL-OLH.png

---------- Post added at 12:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 PM ----------

Only one transcription per day, :D

Maybachs and Diamonds

|: i[sup]7[/sup]-[sup]b[/sup]VI[sup]7[/sup]-[sup]b[/sup]VII-v[sup]7[/sup] :| Intro and verse

|: i[sup]7[/sup]-[sup]b[/sup]VII[sup]#7[/sup]-[sup]b[/sup]VI[sup]7[/sup]-[sup]b[/sup]VII[sup]#7[/sup] :| Chorus

Key of A minor

Am[sup]7[/sup]-F[sup]maj7[/sup]-G-Em[sup]7[/sup]

Am[sup]7[/sup]-G[sup]maj7[/sup]-F[sup]maj7[/sup]-G[sup]maj7[/sup]

Am[sup]7[/sup]A-C-E-G
Am7KBD.png
F[sup]maj7[/sup]F-A-C-E
Fmaj7KBD.png
Em[sup]7[/sup]E-G-B-D
Em7KBD.png
G[sup]maj7[/sup]G-B-D-F[sup]#[/sup]
Gmaj7KBD.png
GG-B-D
GmajorKBD.png

[mp3]http://www.bandcoach.org/fp/audio/RL-MandD.mp3[/mp3]

RL-M&D.png

Last edited:
It's in the key of A Minor but he threw a G# in there. Yet, it sounds like it's still in key. I've been trying to wrap my head around this for months and I still can't understand it. It's similar to borrowing chords but this is only throwing an extra note in. If he were to play the correct 7th for the G it would be a G7, which sounds very tense and needs the resolution of a C chord.

What I want to know is how do ppl decide which chord to alter even if it means using a note that is not in the scale of their song? Everytime I try to do something like this, it sounds very out of key and doesnt work like theirs.

Hmmmm....

I've been thinking about this one particularly and I can't come up with a single answer but rather a combination of answers:

Yes, we are in A natural minor scale. So we get the regular chords we expect in C major. There is no dom[sup]7th[/sup] chord (E[sup]7[/sup]) so no G[sup]#[/sup]. However, he does add the F[sup]#[/sup] for the G[sup]maj7[/sup] in the chorus.

Only explanation that even begins to make minimal sense is he has decided to use parallel chording on the major [sup]7ths[/sup] whilst keeping Am as a triad.

A minor in triadic form is the upper part of the F[sup]maj7[/sup] chord, so in essence we are moving A-C-E ~ B-D-F[sup]#[/sup] ~ A-C-E ~ B-D-F[sup]#[/sup] ~ A-C-E with the bass moving as A~G~F~G~A

E-F[sup]#[/sup]-E-F[sup]#[/sup]-E
C-D -C-D-C
A-B -A-B-A
A-G -F-G-A

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 PM ----------

Another possibility is that the G[sup]maj7[/sup] and Am are taken from the parallel mode of A Dorian minor

Back