Chord Progression

ABSiNT

First off i'd just like to say please please please don't tell me i need to learn music theory, i already know a bit of it and that's not my focus atm. Anyways....

Hey all i'm looking for a chord progression generator that i can use as a vst that ideally can:

Be able to generate chord progressions for me and these chord progressions can be dragged as midi files into a midi track on my daw (I'm using Logic)

When i say generate chord progressions for me i mean that if i select the key of C it can have a long long list of common and uncommon chord progressions in the plugin (that i can preview and hear). I also would like to be able to play a bassline and have it generate chords that match that bassline.

Can any programs out there do that?

Thanks so much in advance.

None that I am aware of. Looks like I might have found a niche market.

Of course you have left out some important ideas like rhythmic variations, etc.

A Chart of some sort would be pretty useful, then you could play around with the chords and play at your own tempo, rhythm ect....Any place where I could find a list of Chord Progressions in all the keys?

A Chart of some sort would be pretty useful, then you could play around with the chords and play at your own tempo, rhythm ect....Any place where I could find a list of Chord Progressions in all the keys?

Just play around, it's really not that hard.

Pick a scale, use notes from the scale to form chords.
With Amaj7 you can play : Bm7, Dbm7, Dmaj7, Gbm7, Gmaj7
Move all of that down half a step and it's the same, key doesn't matter.

But if you want GOOD progressions you need to use dim7,sus,13,m6, etc etc Learn a few jazz standards and you can easily pick those up and implement them in any song

I can't of anything that does all of that, but I do know there are some chord progression generators out there. Best I can say is find one of those and write in the chords note by note into Logic

Easy way out :

Prochords

You're Welcome.

But it won't make the most complex progression. Well it can sound complex, but it recommends relative chords. So you put in Cmajor7 and the first thing you'll get is Am7. Which is fine, but something like Edim7 (which sounds awesome with cmaj7) will be at the bottom of the list of chords, if it even lists it at all.

You can come up with any chord progression, it has them all... but if you want it to "generate" a progression, prepare to get the same shit over and over.

If you really understand theory and chords this wouldn't even be a problem. If you play one chord you should easily be able to see a 10+ chord progression.

Last edited:
Looks like I might have found a niche market.

Lol reminds me of this site I seen note too long ago.. http://hiphopchords.com/ ..Thought it was only for FL Studio, but I'm sure those files could then be converted into midi, If you have FL..

Any place where I could find a list of Chord Progressions in all the keys?

Why? Lol you learn your keys, then you learn your progressions. Funny sayin that cause I did the opposite. There's rly no point though in taking the time to write down every chord in every chord progression in every key. Like I said if you know your scales & progressions there you go. You could play any progression & tranpose it up by pressin 2 buttons, if you know your shortcuts in FL. Press those 2 buttons 10-11 more times (not tryna get that technical, cause it's all easy) then there you go. The same progression transposed. Sh!t, you could even tune the entire project & do it that way, obviously turning off the option in the channel settings for the drums. There's numerous ways man. All you have to do is learn uh few things either way.

Just play around, it's really not that hard.

Pick a scale, use notes from the scale to form chords.
With Amaj7 you can play : Bm7, Dbm7, Dmaj7, Gbm7, Gmaj7
Move all of that down half a step and it's the same, key doesn't matter.

But if you want GOOD progressions you need to use dim7,sus,13,m6, etc etc Learn a few jazz standards and you can easily pick those up and implement them in any song

Thanks, exactly what I was thinkin. & thanks again for remindin me of somethin else I needa work on. I understand the relationship between 6ths & 7ths, although I admit I need to go back & study again to let it really ingrain. Also when to use Sus chords. I have a basic understanding of that as well, just needa go back & study , apply , study, apply. Thanks again. Lol

Best I can say is find one of those and write in the chords note by note into Logic

That would be uh nightmare. Lmfao. Lbvs..

First off i'd just like to say please please please don't tell me i need to learn music theory, i already know a bit of it and that's not my focus atm. Anyways....

Hey all i'm looking for a chord progression generator that i can use as a vst that ideally can:

Be able to generate chord progressions for me and these chord progressions can be dragged as midi files into a midi track on my daw (I'm using Logic)

When i say generate chord progressions for me i mean that if i select the key of C it can have a long long list of common and uncommon chord progressions in the plugin (that i can preview and hear). I also would like to be able to play a bassline and have it generate chords that match that bassline.

Can any programs out there do that?

Now that I read your post again it's actually pretty hilarious & BandCoach really put the idea out there for grabs. Lol there's uh couple levels of ppl on music theory; the 1st level just blow it off completely, the 2nd level learn uh lil like you did then blow it off, 3rd level take it even farther I'd say this is myself, & last but not least the 4th level got everything for the most part, & I guess we could say 5th turn it all into 2nd nature. That's why Mfs make it look easy. At first I thought this thread was fina be about somethin basic like the I - IV - V. Lol but this sh!t funny on uh whole nother level. Lmao too make my long ass post short, you want a program that makes beats for you. Lmfao that's what it is. Even if there was one that did what you said, like BandCoach said about the rhythm part, that would be uh whole nother part that would have to be added on, & you cain't forget chord inversions. Which also plays into chord voicings. Lol niggas would no longer play the keys & everyone would be uh music producer. Think about it, if this software was actually out, there would be one even better for your drums. & both of them combined.... Mannnn. Lmao thanks for the good laugh though man. If anything this post showed me exactly why I've taken my knowledge to where it is now & exceeding. I hope you actually invest in your knowledge instead of hoping something else can fill in where you lack. Reminds me of what my guy said the other day, talkin about if I would just play chords on all his beats. Lmao funny Af. This is why people get paid what they do man. Few take the time to rly perfect their craft. Enough of me ramblin on man, that's why I saved this for last I guess. If anything I know of you can check out right now, it's that first link I posted under BandCoach's quote. Don't think you'll be satisfied, but we'll see if my mans marketing will convince you. Good luck.

:sigh:

---------- Post added at 09:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 AM ----------

If you really understand theory and chords this wouldn't even be a problem. If you play one chord you should easily be able to see a 10+ chord progression.

My point of that long as post I just posted. Lol :4theloveofgod: :p :pointing: :shame: :finger: :topicclosed: :angel:

Toontrack has a program called EZkeys. It generates chord progressions based on a genre that you select. you can rearrange the parts and transpose them. when you click a chord the circle of fifths pops up and you can select any chord you want. everything can be dragged to your desktop to automatically create a midi file. If you don't want to get deep into theory this is your best bet. Not to mention the piano sounds great too :)

@kebeats: the type of program you describe already exists - it is called band-in-a-box.

At the end of the day you have to make a choice and it becomes obvious to those who already use biab when others do as well. I use it to finish off quick arrangements for others, not for composing new tracks, but it is more than capable of generating whole new compositions complete with chords , keys, bass and drums that can be exported as either a MIDI file or as a set of wav files. Not bad for a program that first saw the light of day in the 1980's.....

I have found that the circle of fifths helps a lot with creating chord progressions.

There is a thread on another forum that explains it pretty well, but I can't post links so I will quote some of the thread:

The circle (or cycle) of fifths is a memory aid in music theory. It is usually represented as a wheel or circle around which the 12 notes of the scale are placed in a particular order. Each note, going forward (clockwise) on the wheel is an interval of a fifth (the distance between C and G) away from the preceding one. More here:

The circle has a variety of uses, and one of them is in constructing chord progressions. Let's have a look at the cycle written out:

F C G D A E B Gb Db Ab Eb Bb (then back to the start) F C G etc

You can remember the sequence with a mnemonic, for example Fanny Crosby Goes Daffy After Eating Bananas (with the Goes Daffy up to the end repeated and flats added).

Remember that Gb=F# and so on. If you look at where G is in the cycle, you will notice that the three most important chords in the key of G, are grouped together with the subdominant © on one side and the dominant (D) on the other. The same applies to any other key, for example, C, in which key the most important chords are F, C and G.

In the beginning of the jazz era, it was also discovered that the cycle of fifths led to some pretty interesting, and at the time, novel chord progressions. The idea is to start on the tonic chord of the key you're in (let's say it's C) and jump as many times forward as you want around the cycle to another chord, let's suppose we decided it would be A. Now you follow the cycle backwards (making it a cycle of fourths) and you get, for example,

C | A7 | D7 | G7 | C|

I don't know if that sequence is familiar to you, but it turns up in lots of songs, for example:

Don't Get Around Much Anymore

Missed the Saturday [C]dance, heard they crowded the [A7]floor
Couldn't bear it with[D7]out you, [G7] don't get around much any[C]more.

Sweet Georgia Brown

[G] [E7] No girl made has got a shade on sweet Georgia Brown
[A7] Crazy feet that dance so neat has sweet Georgia Brown
[D7] they all sigh and wanna die for Sweet Georgia Brown
[D7] I tell you just [G] why [D7] you know I don't [G] lie

Notice that sevenths are used for the run back to the start, and this is often (but not always) the case. In these examples we jumped three steps forward on the wheel, but you can jump just two, or as many as you want. The longest jump in a cycle-of-fifths progression of this type I have seen is in another standard, "Someone to Watch Over Me." Also in the key of C, where the song jumps five steps to B(7) before making its way round the circle backwards to C:

Someone to Watch Over Me

[C]Although he [F]may not be the man some
Girls think of as [C]handsome
To [B7]my heart he [E7] carries the [A7]key [D7] [G7] [C]

An interesting point about these progressions is that you can write melodies around them without ever leaving the diatonic scale of the tonic key (C, in this case). Another way of saying this is that although the chords themselves may contain notes that are not in the key of C, the melodies they accompany often use only the notes in the C scale.

The common progression C-Am-Dm-G-C used in innumerable 60s hits (eg the Four Seasons' Sherry) is also a variation on the cycle of fifths, using minor chords instead of sevenths for the A and D.

Once you know about this common progression, you start seeing variations on it everywhere and you begin to see how prevalent it is in 20th century popular music. This can help when trying to work out chord progressions by ear. The cycle is something you can try when all else fails. Eventually you become familiar with the sound of a cycle-of-fifths progression. But beware. They don't all sound the same by any means. Depending on how far you jump and whether you use sevenths or minor chords to get back, and how often you do it, these progressions can sound surprisingly different from each other, which is probably one reason why they became so popular. Almost every major pop and rock composer, including the Beatles, used the cycle of fifths to generate chord progressions.

Some other examples:

Dancing Cheek to Cheek Gmaj7 E7 Am7 D7 Gmaj7
Crazy C A7 Dm G7 C
All of Me G B7 E7 Am B7 Em A7 Am7 D7 G

Paul McCartney, not without precedent, radically changed the nature of the progression by going from the tonic, not to the chord three steps away but the chord based on the note a semitone below, then stepping up a half-tone to the cycle before continuing, in this song:

Honey Pie

[F]Honey Pie, you are making me [Db]crazy, [D7] I'm in love but I'm [G7lazy [C7] So won't you please come [F]home.

You can find diagrams of the circle all over the net.

You can find diagrams of the circle all over the net.

Yessir, & print it out. I cut out uh lil square of the paper & got it on my midi keyboard like where the screen would be on uh Fantom, Motif, Triton, etc. Lol pretty shnazzy. Folds N sh!t. I rarely use it cause I already know where I'm tryna go, but it definetly won't hurt you ta have it close by. Makes everything uh lil bit easier.

Band in the box is a good program, but I agree with some of the other posts in this thread, that you should play around with chords yourself and learn some theory. It might be a little bit of work initially, but it will really pay off in the long run. Get hold of some real jazz, pop or rock books, and just play around with the chords. You will quickly pick up some chord progressions that you like the sound of.

Circle of 5ths are good, as are 2-5-1 progressions e.g Dm7-G7-C. Descending chord sequences are great such as Changes - David Bowie. Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me - Elton John

If you want some advanced harmony, I can certainly recommend The Jazz Piano book by Mark Levine

Band in the box is a good program, but I agree with some of the other posts in this thread, that you should play around with chords yourself and learn some theory. It might be a little bit of work initially, but it will really pay off in the long run. Get hold of some real jazz, pop or rock books, and just play around with the chords. You will quickly pick up some chord progressions that you like the sound of.

Circle of 5ths are good, as are 2-5-1 progressions e.g Dm7-G7-C. Descending chord sequences are great such as Changes - David Bowie. Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me - Elton John

If you want some advanced harmony, I can certainly recommend The Jazz Piano book by Mark Levine

If you have an Android or iOS device, I STRONGLY recommend downloading iReal Be. Its a fakebook app with nearly EVERY standard jazz tune in it. It not only plays the chords for you, but it has lots of options to adjust them to your liking. For example, if you need to learn a song on the fly, but don't wanna bother with transposing it, iReal Be transpose it to any key you wish. My piano instructor told me about it earlier this evening and its no joke for practicing soloing over chord changes and learning tunes.

Back