Chord Changes / Progressions

M

MattM

Ok. So my knowledge of music theory up to this point has halted at chords. I'm taking a class at my local college but they move at a really really slow pace to insure we soak everything in and we won't be on chords till the end of the semester.

So my question is, how often do some of you change chords in your songs? Once every bar? Once every quarter beat? Once every 32 bars? Twice a song? Not at all? I'm aware there's know set rule, but I am just curious what is average? talk to yall later.

There's really no set rule like you said but normally I'll have a repeating chord section for every 4-8 bars. Changing the chords once every bar or a couple times a bar. Sometimes when you reach a hook or bridge section you might want to change the chords. To add a certain feel or emotion.

Peace

lol there's no set rule??

So I can have 64 chord changes in one 4/4 bar can I?

The rule of thumb in 4/4 is that you shouldn't have anymore than 4 chords to that bar, the most ideal being 2 chords or 1 to each bar.

Try first having only one chord to a bar, then two, having them last 2 beats each and you will feel how it seems faster. This is a common trick to increase the pace in music without having to speed up the tempo.

lol. I suppose you could have 64 changes in a bar, whether or not is sounds good would be a matter of taste. :D

I see though. I've been making an attempt at making dance music here and I haven't been incorporating as many chord changes to give my pieces a bit of 'movement' to them. I've been switching chords only about every 17 - 33 bars. I'll just have to experiment.

James McFadyen said:

man you get my point you dont have to always stick to the formula. Music becomes too technical if you worry about what you can or can't do. At the end of the day if it sounds good thats all that matters...

James McFadyen said:

I thought you would have known that you could do that. Why not? there is no rule. Not my cup of tea but it is possible.

komplex u said it , music does bcome to techy.when u have to think bout it toomuch.that,s why when a song comes to u directly, it has the structure in place already.its always good to flesh songs out playin them live.in a jam session.and also with the tools we have now we ca cut paste verse chorus .etc. etc. peace .like plex said if it sounds good that,s what matters peace

^

exactly.

i was never a fan of the theory buffs who make it a point to belittle people and make them feel like idiots because they didn't stick to the rules. I know just as much theory as these self-proclaimed "geniuses" but I'm not caught up in worrying about what i can or can't do.

Peace

James McFadyen said:

The rule of thumb in 4/4 is that you shouldn't have anymore than 4 chords to that bar, the most ideal being 2 chords or 1 to each bar.

Try first having only one chord to a bar, then two, having them last 2 beats each and you will feel how it seems faster. This is a common trick to increase the pace in music without having to speed up the tempo.

You can pretty much do whatever you want, but it might sound like complete crap if you try to cram 64 chords into one bar. Guess it depends on what you're trying to convey in your music.

Back