chord

A

aandrerules

hi guys,

so i stumped upon the acappella of Calvin Harry s Outside, so im tryin to study how the song is written, out of curiosity...

and i noticed something in the progression that i find strange:

so the key is Fmajor and the chords are: F Dm Am Gm

while the bass notes seem to be Bflat G D E

and so the bass notes are in key but dont belong to the triad of the chord they re under, they not even the fifth note or something...

is this rare or am i flippin out for nothing? xD

Totally normal, incredibly interesting compositions can come about when melodies and bassline stray from the chordal notes

If you looked them up it's possible you could have looked have looked up the chords or bass in the wrong key: ultimate guitar and similar websites often give chords to be played on the guitar with a capo, which changes the key.
Have you tried actually playing those chords and bassline together and seeing if it sounds like the song?

I'm only saying this because
a) I assume Calvin Harris's music has really simple chords, the thing about having non-chord tones in the bass isn't that unusual but the vibe it gives really isn't calvin harris.
b) If you lower the bassline by a fourth you get F, D, A, B, which fits pretty well with the chords you gave.

Back