Cheap Casio Keyboard:Is it good for learning?

J

jooneydubz

i was wondering if anybody has used those casio keyboards($100 and under) to learn how to play and if so has it helped you?

Im talkin about the ones with the keys that light up and have built in lessons inside of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, if it has keys and makes sound, go with it. U will pick up on things fast with those training lights..

PEACE

EVERY keyboard has something useful about it.

...and if you are just learning how to play, it doesn't matter what keyboard you use. You are just learning fundamentals... a keyboard from the garbage that makes fart noises when you press the keys is just as useful for that purpose as the best and most expensive keyboard in the world... as long as it makes pitched noises.

dvyce said:
EVERY keyboard has something useful about it.

...and if you are just learning how to play, it doesn't matter what keyboard you use. You are just learning fundamentals... a keyboard from the garbage that makes fart noises when you press the keys is just as useful for that purpose as the best and most expensive keyboard in the world... as long as it makes pitched noises.

the emphasis would be on the ability of the keys to light up and the diagram that shows finger placements.Not for the actual sounds from the keyboard.

thanks for the feedback peoples.im think imma cop one soon.

...oh, so you mean you want it because it has light up keys... I thought you were just asking if a cheapo keyboard is good to use for learning to play.

I have no experience with those lighted keys, but I suppose I'd could only help you (although it will only get you so far... It can only be somewhat basic stuff)

Not true Dvyce.

I teach several kids on these rudimentary devices and they work a charm. For the most part unless you want to be a Jazz keyboardist, there are genrally speaking 3 chords in most songs. The lighted key method, although it will have some very basic songs teach those chords to the tee.

BadVerbs said:
Not true Dvyce.

I teach several kids on these rudimentary devices and they work a charm. For the most part unless you want to be a Jazz keyboardist, there are genrally speaking 3 chords in most songs. The lighted key method, although it will have some very basic songs teach those chords to the tee.

How is that different from what I said?

I said it would be helpful for some basic playing.

There is a lot more to piano playing than which key to press down on the keyboard.

Lighted keys don't teach you how to hold your hands, how to sit, how to determine which fingering to use, how to understand all the subtlty of playing and emotion and rhythm and feel.

I would say that one of the LEAST important things when it comes to piano playing is knowing the notes for a few basic chords.... The important thing is technique.

I'd say they're just as good as any keyboard for learning. Just don't get too caught up in letting the lights do all the playing for you. I'd suggest getting help from a piano teacher so they can teach you proper techniques. The lights may help you find the notes, but learning technique helps you get a feel for the keys so you're not constantly staring at your hands trying to find the right notes.

Imagine 2 piano players... one is amazing and one sucks, but neither one plays any wrong notes.

It is all those things other than the actual notes you play which make you a good or bad player.

jooneydubz said:
i was wondering if anybody has used those casio keyboards($100 and under) to learn how to play and if so has it helped you?

Im talkin about the ones with the keys that light up and have built in lessons inside of them.

If you want to buy that I'd suggest to buy a yamaha which is in the same price range but sounds better. Casio is OK but yamahas sound better at the same price.

I know the ones u guys r talkin about!! That stupid Casio keyboard was my first instrument ever! GO get it! Its gr8 for learning!

Back