Changing Up The Beat

F

Fallout

every 4 bars i try to change up the beat but i'm not trying to just change the the drum beat up every 4 bears, does anybody have any techniques for changing up the melody every 4 bars

Theres no techniques to write songs, is it? You choose your notes (scale) and you put something together. It all comes down to your own creativity. Theres no simple answer how to changeup the beat.

You should study some music theory, it'll help you.

edit: But if you're gonna make changeups every 4th bar i'd say focus on the drums instead. And make a melody changeup after 2nd verse or something.

Last edited:
drop out some instruments or introduce some new instruments into the mix, or change patterns, but like he said above, its ur music, get creative with it, there are no set rules to music, there are guidelines, but NO set rules. dont be afraid to venture outside the box. neptunes went outside the box and came up with synthesized beats, get where im going?

Tracks don't always need buildups etc... I mean the majority of your major tracks have buildups..etc... but if yo ulisten to normal album cuts, some of hte best songs (commercially and otherwise) Don't really have too much change in them... I noticed that about Money, Cash, Hoes today...lol... But listen to some cds at medium volume... pay attention to the beat, the loop... pay attention to background vocals and where they sit... listen where instruments are panned... etc... it really helps when it comes time to mix a track... that is if you have little to no technical training like myself...

It's better to change up at 8 bars and also make sure these changes are very minor otherwise the track will end up sounding off. Introduce different instruments here and there and maybe change the drums on a bridge or get rid of the drums on a bridge. It's up to you what you do as long as it sounds hot and not out of place then your are all good to go.

Yeah, you probably don't want to jump to some new crazy **** every four bars. There's some elements of melodic construction that might help you - motifs, sequences, etc. Take your original melodic idea, and then just vary it a little bit. Make a couple of the intervals between notes change slightly, or vary the duration of some of the notes. Try starting on the last note of your phrase and going backwards. If you're going up a third, try going down a third, stuff like that. Jazz and classical music are the best places to learn about stuff like that. Check out how Miles Davis stretches out a melody, keeps it fresh over the course of like ten minutes.

Back