Changing Keys?

caycay

I was listening to instrumental for Beyoncé - ego: Beyonce - Ego Instrumental - YouTube . I was trying to get the notes right, and realized that there were a lot of notes in the song. I looked up the sheet music and some other stuff and it was saying it was in the key of D Major, but there were a lot of other notes too, but everything kept saying D Major...

So I was wondering how you can play so many notes or "accidentals" outside of a key and have it still sound good like that?

Or if im right and its changing keys, how do you change keys so seamlessly and have it blend together like that? Are relative minors or parallel minors the trick to doing that?

Any help appreciated.

It took me awhile to fully grasp even the basics of switching keys, it's easy to read about it but to actually apply it is what we wanna do.

Once you begin to understand dominant 7th chords, secondary dominants that's crucial. But as far as the accidentals go, whole reason I'm posting, there's so many things you can do\!

Don't limit yourself to the scale, I'll give you a few examples in Cmaj...

Cmaj7 - C#dim7 - Dmin7 - Gdom7 - Cmaj

This would more likely be C7 - C#o7 - Dm7 - G7 - C

i.e. only the C changes to C# the rest stays the same - the bass line movement is then C-C#-D-G-C

What's going on in the bass is important as well.

It's also common in the major scale to turn the 4 minor and to flat the 7. example....

Cmaj - Fmaj - Fmin - Gmaj - Cmaj

Cmaj - Fmaj - Fmin - Bbmaj - Cmaj

don't forget that you can substitute the rel major of iv so that you get bVI in its place

C - F - Ab - G - C or C - F - Ab - Bb - C

You can also use the #4/b5 to go from the 4 to the 5

Cmaj - Fmaj - F#dim7 - Gdom - Cmaj

more likely to see that progression move as

C - F - F#o7 - C/G - G7 - C

When I first started using notes outside of the scale was in minor keys turning the 5 major so for example C# - E - A (Amaj) to D - F - A in Dminor.

not really changing anything, just using the harmonic minor for your chords.....

It's all about using your ear
keep listening
keep studying
keep applying

Last edited:
not a blues scale but a blues inflection - using a quick grace note as in b3 into 3 and b5 into 5 and b7 into 7 and, alternatively #2 into 2, #4 into 4 and #6 into 6

in note terms in the Key of D: F-F#, Ab-A, C-C#; E#-E, G#-G, B#-B

Back