Cents and Semi tones

There's a hundred cents in a semi tone and adjacent keys are a semi tone appart.

Sorry, I'll explain what I meant by adjacent. As an example, say your playing F I would consider E and F# to be adjacent. E a semitine down from F and F# a semitone up. The next semitone up from F# would be G.

Hope I explaind that Ok as I'm not really up on keyboard termanology.

i have a similar question.. would it be possible to make a whole beat using only the white keys on a MIDI controller? i ask because when i make a melody most of the times i dont even use the black keys which i guess are sharps and flats? am i depriving the song of a "personality" by not using the blacc keys? or does it mean im possibly writing a melody in a certain key without knowing it?

Last edited by a moderator:
this has nothing to do with my thread lol. anyway stay in key meaning if ur scale requires black keys use them otherwise dont. The C scale is all white keys so in theory i guess u could say all ur beats are in C

Xabiton said:
this has nothing to do with my thread lol. anyway stay in key meaning if ur scale requires black keys use them otherwise dont. The C scale is all white keys so in theory i guess u could say all ur beats are in C
ok i think im begininning to understand a little about the keys and scales and such. just one more question. if i write lets say a piano melody with all white keys (c?) and then i make a bassline that actually uses some blacc keys.. what is the overall beat? would using the blacc keys for the bassline mean that its playing the wrong key and the bassline should play C WITH the piano???

Xabiton said:

Or A minor, depending on what the root is.

hakaveli said:

so if my piano is playing in C so should my bassline and every other melody?
all ur keys should be in the same scale. its a key its a scale in order to be on key u have to play everything on key. u cant be in B flat but then play ur bass in B it doesnt work that way

Stranjer said:

Or A minor, depending on what the root is.

Now this could confuse you...in fact it still confuses me a little bit.

A minor is constructed out of the same notes as C major but what makes them different is chord relations.You make chords out of the notes from the scales.

You should stick with playing everything from the notes you consructed,lets say white keys,C major.
Your Bassline should play the lower note of the chord you are in...

Lets say you have F maj7 playing at the beggining of the bar and it lasts for 2 bars.You play F on the bass.You dont have to play just F offcourse,you could also play the notes that are in the chord. Same as every other chord...

This is very basic but it produces harmonic results which are a bit dull but they work.

Back