Cellphone interference with speaker sound effect...

kang

Yes... You read it correctly! I'm after the sound a cell phone makes when the signal is picked up by a poorly sheilded speaker or speaker cable.

The correct term is "Electromagnetic Interference". I've checked out my usual spots for weird audio samples but i can't seem to find anything.

Does anyone know where i can get a few samples of the sound or perhaps ways in which i can record the sound? I've tried having my mic placed in the room but he speaker squeel due to feedback from the mic when i record.

Any info would be greastly appreciated.

Cheers.

Kang.

kang said:
I've tried having my mic placed in the room but he speaker squeel due to feedback from the mic when i record.

If you have a system that picks up the interference the way you'd like to record, just turn up the volume on that system and point a mic at it as you would do with a guitar amp, for example. Obviously, just don't rout the microphone signal into that same set of speakers while you're recording :)

haha oh my god i'm so stupid! I can't believe i didn't think of that! I've got a couple of old hi-fi systems that pick up the interference!

WTF was goin on with my spelling and grammer in my original post :s lol

Cheers mate.

When you're frustrated with trying to find a single solution you don't realise there's another solution that's even easier just waiting to be noticed! lol

Kang.

Last edited:
Cheer Noble!!

That's exactly the sound i'm after.

I'll post up a beat once i've had my way with it ;)

Cheers again dude.

Kang.

kang said:
haha oh my god i'm so stupid! I can't believe i didn't think of that! I've got a couple of old hi-fi systems that pick up the interference!

WTF was goin on with my spelling and grammer in my original post :s lol

Cheers mate.

When you're frustrated with trying to find a single solution you don't realise there's another solution that's even easier just waiting to be noticed! lol

Kang.

I think this is a cool idea...i've always been intrigued by the sound...Never really thought of using it for a track. Curious about what you're going to do...awaiting your follow-up post

Hey, if you wanna get a weird/similar sound, I dunno, if this will be at all relevant, but point a remote control like the kind for a tv at your guitar pickup while pressing one of the buttons on the remote, it will make a great effect, similiar to the cell phone thing, but even MORE gangster in every street, even the not so dangerous ones.

kang said:

Old systems? every one I've had has done it, my monitors do it worst!

Back