Cant Create a Melody...Nothing Comes To Mind!!!

USNSDR

i sometimes get to a point where i just cant create nothing....it almost feels like my mind just stops...i sometimes try to make a melody but nothing will come out....(nothing good)....what do you guys do to get into that creative mood???

as much as youd probably just want to sit in front of your equipment, dont, get out, do something constructive other than making beats, come back to it in a week or so

I learned this when i was a kid. When you have no ideas what to draw, draw some random lines and doodles. Then look at the lines and let your brain "see" the shapes you want to draw. It works with music too. Turn on a TV or radio, go to another room so it's almost inaudible and you'll hear some notes, but not everything clearly. Your brain will put something together - you'll see.

Human mind is the greatest auto-complete.

Don't force it, when she says "No", she means "No"...

Ooops, wrong speech.

Yeah, just take it easy, spend some time on the piano, find some song tutorials, play them out, then your brain will start to put sounds together on it's own. Listen to genres that has nothing to do with the one you want to work on.

thanks for the advice guys....i will probably have 4 beers and take a 6mile walk....lol....

^^^that pretty much sums it up...

lol but neway man what i do is if im blank i start out with a drum pattern 1st cause to me thats the easiest thing to do.. so ill throw to gether my kicks snares hats and whatever other nick nack stuff i like, and just turn that mug up, go walking around drink my coolaid or eat my ramen noodles, talk to my girl on the phone and just bump it until i get something

but i can also improvise i can play a piano in which that also helps so ill never get to the point where i cant make anything i get to the point where i get tired of making and hearing things

my personal inspiration tho is to listen to music. ill turn on the radio and just start getting ideas.
Usually i like to listen to underground artist who are eally making it big cuz that motivaes and inspires me from deep down inside noe joke. makes me wanna make something thats gonna pop off harder than ever.

music is best when you discover it, not force it out. I heard a wise saying... if you already know what you want, dont write a song, write an essay....music is about having fun and discovering the song that is out there for you to claim!

I've had episodes where I would force myself to sit in the studio and work on something till its tight. Oddly enough, it turned out to be some of the nicest stuff I've done. However, there have also been times where I would spend 30 mins on an entire project and Waalah..brilliance. Common sense would tell you to "take a break" and have a beer, but that is not the only solution, especially when working under pressure. If you really want to get something done, then do it until its done. This does not make you any less of a musician because your "not creating from the heart" and using focus and logic instead (not the software). I would actually argue that it makes you all the more talented when you can squeeze a turd out at any given moment. And chances are, at some point during your strain you will start to "feel" the music you are creating and won't have to squeeze so hard. All have writer's block. Period.

....I love these forums.

Last edited:
take a sample.. and put it in reverse.

play that **** backwards.. u hear so many melodys.. its insane

have it playin so many times that the reverse melody gets stuck in ur head..

and u've got an instant melody..

as20gp said:

that is the most off the wall piece of advice that ive ever heard. But its brilliant. wow, seriously im really gonna start doing this. how did u come up with that?

**edit** im not being sarcasic, i really like that idea

Last edited:
well one day, i was listening to this Lil Wayne mixtape track called Long Time Comin.. it used the song A Change Gonna Come by Sam Cooke..

then i was listenin to my old Ghostface Killah album.. i think it was Iron Man, and a song with the same sample

and then later on that week i heard a Papoose song, that used the same sample.. the problem was that they all sounded so fukin similar.. Even the RZA version..

so i was like.. how can i flip a Change Gonna Come different from everybody else.. so i was in Audacity and i clicked reverse just messin around.. and i heard so much wild and krazy sh*t it was insane

and then i sampled the part i wanted, and thats how that track I Won't Forget on my soundclick got created..

www.soundclick.com/andrewlloyd

as20gp said:

lol
and how has that been working out for you...:rolleyes:

well almost every beat on my soundclick, was based off of a sample played in reverse so.. u can be the judge

awsome. heard the joint. im feelin it bro.

way to innovate. take what u learned and elevate it. u just might have new style

Last edited:
Back