Can't Conjure Up A Lead (Please Help)

Handmade

I can't seem to think of a lead for this song. I used "IVmaj7-Imaj7-iii7-ii7" for the chord progression. I used to use chords from the scale I was in, but this time I used a chord progression not knowing what scale it's in or if it's even following a specific scale. IVmaj7-Imaj7-iii7-ii7
Ufinished, Needs Lead by 3 Raw on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free is the track, Bandcoach, someone out there with some knowledge please help me out. Appreciate it, y'all.

Last edited:
No need to overthink this, just play the chord tones over the progression and then, to add flavor, add some other notes into the mix. Knowing the theory of it all is cool, but you should be using your ears at this point to find the lead melody you desire. I recommend singing over the chords until you find something you like and then playing what you sung on your instrument. This is how I create my melodies even though I know theory. You don't have to play EVERYTHING in key, a little chromaticism and dissonance never hurts.
Taking a look at those chords:
Say, for example, we're in the key of C major (since the chord numbers of your progression correspond to the harmonized major scale), your chords will be
IV7 = F major 7 (F A C E)
I7 = C major 7 (C E G B)
iii7 = E minor 7 (E G B D)
ii7 = D minor 7 (D F A C)
From the notes used to build those chords, you can see that the C major scale/A minor scale is the easiest choice for building your melody.
I would suggest throwing in a V7 (dom 7 chord) somewhere to blues or jazz it up a bit since the two most common chord progressions are I IV V (most used in blues and rock) and ii V I (most used in jazz).
I'd also suggest looking into using the pentatonic scale or adding in some chromatic notes for extra flavor. But for the most part, I strongly encourage you to sing your lead melody and then play it on your instrument and go from there.

Last edited:
No need to overthink this, just play the chord tones over the progression and then, to add flavor, add some other notes into the mix. Knowing the theory of it all is cool, but you should be using your ears at this point to find the lead melody you desire. I recommend singing over the chords until you find something you like and then playing what you sung on your instrument. This is how I create my melodies even though I know theory. You don't have to play EVERYTHING in key, a little chromaticism and dissonance never hurts.
Taking a look at those chords:
Say, for example, we're in the key of C major (since the chord numbers of your progression correspond to the harmonized major scale), your chords will be
IV7 = F major 7 (F A C E)
I7 = C major 7 (C E G B)
iii7 = E minor 7 (E G B D)
ii7 = D minor 7 (D F A C)
From the notes used to build those chords, you can see that the C major scale/A minor scale is the easiest choice for building your melody.
I would suggest throwing in a V7 (dom 7 chord) somewhere to blues or jazz it up a bit since the two most common chord progressions are I IV V (most used in blues and rock) and ii V I (most used in jazz).
I'd also suggest looking into using the pentatonic scale or adding in some chromatic notes for extra flavor. But for the most part, I strongly encourage you to sing your lead melody and then play it on your instrument and go from there.
I added a dom7th chord and made it a little more interesting, thanks a lot for the help, I'll try the lead now.

---------- Post added at 03:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 AM ----------

Got the lead, used the A Minor scale, but I need to change up the brass a little bit, I changed it up, but it's there for almost the whole song.

In future, try starting with the melody. This is "correct" way to compose. Not that you have to do it that way, it's just another approach that may lead you down a different path.

Back