Cannot exactly identify this instrument!

chilljazz

Hi guys :hello:

I've been coming on the forums for a while now and I thought this would be the perfect time for me to make my first post. I am trying to identify a sound/instrument and I can't for the life of me find it despite many google key word searches!

To be fair it's not often I hear this sound used but there's a couple of tracks I know for examples -

It appears in the first 3 seconds in the eminem song - drug ballad and repeats throughout the song at the end of every bar. It sounds like a 'wooooh'. It also appears throughout ll cool j - phenomenon but the 'drug ballad' is a great example and very clear to hear.

At a guess I'm thinking its maybe some kind of drum with an effect on it? I am probably completely wrong but if anyone know how I can achieve this sound it would be much appreciated. Or better yeah an actual name for the instrument used? and how its been manipulated if it has.

Many Thanks :D

It's a conga drum. But instead of someone slapping it to get a perc noise, they rub their hand across it to get that spooky "wooo" sound. I'd look for conga samples maybe you can find it. My boy plays hand percussion and he pulls that trick out a lot during his live shows.

It's a conga drum. But instead of someone slapping it to get a perc noise, they rub their hand across it to get that spooky "wooo" sound. I'd look for conga samples maybe you can find it. My boy plays hand percussion and he pulls that trick out a lot during his live shows.

Frank thank you so much! :berzerk: with a little research after your reply I've found out you are indeed correct and it's achieved by rubbing bees wax over the conga and rubbing your finger across it. I would have never have guessed!

Thanks again man you have saved the day for me as I really needed that sound lol..I've asked many people locally and no one had a clue lol I had a feeling someone on here would :cool:

Hey I'm glad I could help. I didn't know that about the bees wax. I might wax up this djembe I have and see if I can get the sound.

Yeah apparently it helps for some, but some prefer just to use a moist finger!...I've since found out it's called 'the moose call' and it was the scarcest sound sample I've ever tried to find on the internet! I could barely find any lol I had to go to the local music shop in the end!

Back