can we use relative keys chords mutually on a same piece of music?

Reezy

hey guys. suppose if i am writting a track of F minor. can i use A flat major scale chords on this piece? (which is relative major key of F Minor)?
if not please explain me whats the feature of relative keys. how can we use them?

Yes you can use all the chords from Ab major scale on F minor, assuming you are talking about F natural minor.
The numbering of the chords will be different- F minor is chord I in F minor but chord VI in Ab major.
Most chord sequences in F minor will start with F minor chord etc

Extra info:

However, one chord which is often used in F minor but less often used in Ab major is chord V- C major. This is because a common technique to make a chord sequence sound finished (more in classical music than popular music really) is the perfect cadence- the major V chord (or dominant chord) followed by chord I.
Try playing Eb major -> Ab major- it sounds very final and finished.
Now try C major -> F minor- again, it sounds final and finished.

In major keys, the major V chord (dominant chord) is naturally part of the key so you can use this perfect cadence no problem- however in minor keys you would think that you could only use the minor V chord e.g. C minor in F minor because the F natural minor scale has no E in it but C major chord does.
To get around the fact that C major is not 'naturally' part of F minor, composers will switch to a new scale- the harmonic minor whenever they want to add a perfect cadence in minor keys.

Ab major: Ab, Bb, C, Db, Eb, F, G, Ab Chord V = Eb major
F natural minor: F, G, Ab, Bb, C, Db, Eb, F Chord V = C minor
F harmonic minor: F, G, Ab, Bb, C, Db, E, F Chord V = C major
As you can see Ab major and F natural minor contain the same notes and share exactly the same chords- but F minor you can also swap to F harmonic minor sometimes, which lets you use C major.

This is a lot more info than you asked for but hopefully it shows you that minor keys don't always contain exactly the same notes as the relative major, even though they often do.

Last edited:
If you use chords in one scale you have no choice but to use the chords in the relative scale because they use the same exact chords.. Scales are just notes that work well together.. When playing in the key of Ab you resolve to Ab for example..in f minor you resolve to f.. Scale is what notes you play and key is how you play them..

If was asking these question myself when I started composing and there is no right or wrong answer. Music isnt matematic, there are some rules but you can break them if you can. Use your ears not brain I always say

If was asking these question myself when I started composing and there is no right or wrong answer. Music isnt matematic, there are some rules but you can break them if you can. Use your ears not brain I always say

I hate when people say stuff like that as if there's something wrong with learning.. I doubt there's very many if any long term successful music producers that didn't actually take the time to learn their craft.. Knowledge is power I always say.

Last edited:
Back